DodgeIntrepid.Net Forums banner

The gods must be crazy.....

10K views 44 replies 18 participants last post by  95intrepid99kid 
#1 · (Edited)
THIS fine piece of Fomoco equipment was given to me today. It runs and drives quite nicely actually. It was driven here. Sounds good. A/C works. All I could find so far that it needs other than an extreme day with the powerwasher (been sitting in mud during heavy rain)...is rear brakes.

It has nice tires. Brand new fuel pump. New timing belt. Reciepts in glove box. Either this is a curse, a donation to the HP fund, or a dirty trick. :baseballbat:

See less See more
#35 ·
I graduated high school with a kid who supposedly had a Contour with a Porsche engine...The story he told was that it was some kind of "experimental" factory prototype that Ford was collaborating with Porsche on to make some kind of high-performance Contour model.

I told him I had a nice bridge to sell him.

Easiest $1,000 I ever made.

#41 ·
I have completed my mission. :biggrin:

Not really. I sold it to a good friend, basically for the costs of fixing it up. As much as I despise the damn things it was a good running car and the person that got it hasnt had a car in 2 years, she is ecstatic about it. It ran good all the way to Florida and hasnt gave her a hiccup since.

#44 ·
At least Mercury had the right name for those.... Mystake...

my mother in law has one of those, and has owned it since it was about 2 years old.... (car's a 98)
I remember changing tons of springs on them, back in my alignment guy days.

It did her OK til about 3 years ago I think I somehow still have the pile of reciepts...

timing belt broke in the driveway; so I was "drafted" to do that job; new belt new waterpump and tensioner kit in her driveway. I then drove it to my house as I found a ton of crap wrong with it and I got all my tools here and all of my "good guy" parts store connections closer to home. I wound up spending as much in new parts on it as the car was worth then;
3 of 4 springs were broke, rear struts all leaked out, heater hose pipe rotted in half under the oilpan, and more.
I found a '99 in the U pull 3 miles from here that had brand new struts, shocks, and exhaust system on it
the exhaust was OK on her car except for the flex coupler; I wound up leaving that new exhaust behind...
I got all 4 struts from that JY car, did the brakes, put 4 brand new tires on it, replaced the heater pipe (dealer item) replaced the flex coupler in the exhaust (2nd one I have welded in, on that particular car)
and went to return it; I did the timing belt exactly by the book and it didnt seem right the belt seemed a bit loose and was noisey but "thats what the book said, it must be good"

On the way to take the car back, the timimg belt broke as I was cruisin about 60...
my son was behind me in the cherokee; we pushed the Contour to my Mom's house and I re did the Timing belt
As it turned out, I mic'd the new idlers that came with the 1st kit and one was undersized! IDK if they were simply mis made, mis labelled or what but this prevented the right tension on the timing belt... I returned the 1st set and the parts store warrantied them I redid the job (wow it was unbelieveable how much easier/quicker the job went the 2nd time) and no more noise.... When all was said and done I had spent $1200 on parts alone for this car.... just parts. so far so good she's still driving it...
O could look and see what all I did to it I just saw the envelope with the pile of reciepts from that car as I was digging for something else yesterday What ever she drives I dont care I can't see it that often 30 miles down the road in her driveway (thank God)

My mom drives a 98 Intrepid 3.2 has owned about just as long as the mother in law has had the Contour and (knock on wood) so far so good..... I have had to do a couple things to tthe Trep but not much.... though 2 months ago it had to blow a steel brake line to the LR caliper.... conveniently a couple days after I fell and busted 2 ribs myself...... those were some mighty painful brake lines I had to replace, laying on concrete........

#45 · (Edited)
I remember when my car lost its brake lines. I think we need to look at those hoses again though (basic check-up) along with new pads in the front/rear (rears are STILL OEM!!) Not to mention the ABS sensors :wacko: Forgot to mention the only fun part about that: I got to sit in the car and run the battery down while my dad did the repair, and then I got to press the brakes (learned why cars have vacuum assist :wacko:)

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.