DodgeIntrepid.Net Forums banner

Will not crank for nothing

17K views 13 replies 7 participants last post by  peva 
#1 ·
1998, 3.2 engine. Wife was at a stop sign when the car up and died. Would not crank back up. I cleaned all the battery connections and looked at the fuses which were good. Checked the Auto Shutdown and starter relays, both OK. the lights come on the dash and the battery was checked out to be good. Also replaced the ignition switch. What is the problem with my baby? Since the car died quickly the check engine light did not come on and no codes came up with a computer scanner. Do not know where to go from here. HELP!!

#2 ·
Do you hear the starter or does it not even whirl? Any work done to the car recently? Maybe bad ground straps? Maybe bad PCM?

#3 ·
will not start for nothing

Yeah, turn the key and you wont hear a peep out the starter. Did clean all my battery connections. Could there be a safety feature that has failed that will keep the starter from getting power? I made sure the shifter is in PARK and the doors are shut. I can't think what could be wrong except something electrical. It was running like a top before this happened. Am noticing a couple a gray hairs starting to grow in, Help.

#4 ·
Check all your power connections - like at the positive and negative jump posts - I'm not talking about at the battery - I'm talking about the jump posts. They can get loose and be intermittent (especially the positive one).

Can you read schematics and use a multimeter?

#6 · (Edited)
I think you're thinking of the starter solenoid contacts (very unusual for the brushes to wear out on our starters - solenoid contacts - not so much). I didn't mention those because of the other problems that would not go along with that. Of course, he might have two unrelated problems that coincidentally started at the same time - not likely, but possible. Also, if going that route, check the connection of the hot wire to the starter - they have been known to get loose. But I'm thinking some real troubleshooting (with a meter and schematics) is needed now to rule in and out certain things. Yes - PCM is certainly worth mentioning as a possibility.

#7 ·
Went to parts house and used their Computer Scanner and no fault codes showed up. I was able to check the ignition wiring and it was OK, got power to the Starter relay OK also. I guess I will have to trace the wiring to the starter motor next. Does that sound logical?

#9 ·
Just got a new PCM and put it in. Car started right up and ran fine for about 20 mins. and she just died again, starter is not turning over for nothing. Could the starter be bad and not turn over. Could a bad starter and/or solenoid kill the engine and keep it from starting?

#12 ·
Your right,it probably is not the starter. Got a new PCM, put it in and she cranked up and ran for about 20 mins. without a problem, then she died as I was pulling into my driveway. Dead as a doornail, will not crank up, all my dash lights come on ,radio works,all my lights come on. Already had my battery checked out, it was good. All my battery connections were cleaned two weeks ago. Also put in a new ignition switch a week ago. My check engine light never came on while I was driving the car. There is nothing wrong mecanically with the car. What do I do now? Any ideas guys?

#14 ·
...What do I do now? Any ideas guys?
Well you can keep guessing and replacing parts and costing yourself time and money or you can do this:

...But I'm thinking some real troubleshooting (with a meter and schematics) is needed now to rule in and out certain things...
You need to find out where the voltage gets lost in the power system when the problem is present. Use a multimeter or test light and schematics. Start at the battery and find out at what point on the way to ignition and/or fuel and starter you lose voltage. Without that, at this point you're just jerking off.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.