DodgeIntrepid.Net Forums banner

Daytrepper's New Sig Thread

61K views 255 replies 72 participants last post by  Daytrepper 
#1 · (Edited)
Its time for a new sig with all my new mods. Here she is, start to finish:

What it was:
1998 Dodge Intrepid Base, 2.7L, Metallic Green. I bought this car in Rochester, NY with a knocking 2.7L, with only the intention of putting a new engine in and using it for a daily driver. As it was shortly after its trip back on a trailer (circa 2/2005):

I caught the mod bug shortly after, and here are the results:

EXTERIOR:
Painted Go-Mango orange and "Daytona" flat black paint striping
ES Bumper W/Fogs
Shaved Trunk Lock (welded shut) w/Charger rear emblem
2006 Charger Wheels, new take offs
245/45R18 Tires
POR-15 Rustproofing
300M Special Mirrors

INTERIOR:
Tan Leather Seating with power/heat/memory
ATC
Autostick
150 MPH Police Cluster w/autostick mod
2002 300M Special Body and dash Harness
2002 300M Special BCM
EVIC w/TPSI
RB1 Navigation
Side air bag "fooler"
Traction Control

ENGINE/DRIVETRAIN
Converted from 2.7 to 3.2L
Completely Rebuilt 3.2L engine before install
AMSOIL 5w30 Synthetic Oil
2002 300M Special PCM
2002 300M Special Wiring
"New" transmission with 900 miles
300M Special Exhaust
Front and rear 300M Special Sway Bars w/poly bushings

During the latest build (Apr-Jun 2009), a 2002 300M Special wiring harness and electronics were installed, and the engine bay painted to match the rest of the car. There are pics throughout this thread of the electronics conversion.

I never imagined I would make this car what it is today. It continues to be an ongoing project, and a daily driver, in the warm months.

To Shawn (Cokey11), Ross (TFC), Doug (dudley), Tom (Shadowvox6), Jake (Bodyman), and everyone else that has helped make this car what it is; you guys are awesome this would not have been possible, nor feasible without you. I cannot thank you enough.

As it was in 2010:

As it is today 1/20/2021:

See less See more
#37 ·
Are you going to put the 3.2 back in it or go with a 3.5?

#44 · (Edited)
More progress today, Doug stopped by to help :love:...we got the dash and front body harness removed:

The old forward wiring harness and fuse panel coming out:

Engine bay just about completely stripped, cant wait to say goodbye to that nasty green!!

The new 300M Special body harness will be arriving next week. After the engine bay is painted, the engine will be converted to 2002+ electronics, and re-installed, with a new transmission attached....and a couple other "while im there" items. Then I will replace the rest of the body harness with the Special stuff. Ill keep throwing up the pics!

#49 · (Edited)
Just about all of my parts arrived today:

Looks like there is a whole car sitting there, just have to put it all in after the paintwork is complete:

Many thanks to Ross for providing all the parts for this conversion, and again I cant thank Shawn enough for transporting the parts here to me :love:.

#50 ·
I know exactly what you are going through. I did the Cuda the same way....engine compartment got the blue paint almost 2 years after I did the car.....hahahaha
What a pain in the butt! I had done a quick black paint job in the engine compartment with the engine in place at first as the Lemon Twist was a bit bright.

#51 ·
No kiddin, lol. We had the perfect opportunity to paint the engine bay when I was swapping in the 3.2 as well. This is better, because I would have never swapped the 02+ stuff in at that time.

#53 ·
They didn't look.

Just like when I went down to Dan's meet in March. I had the trunk filled to the brim, along with my back seat and out of four of us going through at the same time, I was the only one that didn't get searched.

Not going to push my luck much more though.

#56 ·
Man I love Chrysler....just ordered a complete set of brake lines for my car, total $160. Pre-bent, all attaching clips, fittings, etc, ready to install. Hell the front left line was $5.66. It would have easily taken me 10 hours to hand make all the brake lines...and make them look factory.

The original lines are a bit rusty (funny because nothing else on the car is rusty), so with my conversion from regular ABS to ABS w/TRAC I would never get the old brake lines off of the controller without damaging them.

New brake lines arrive Friday.

She's going in for the engine bay paint Sunday, should have her back Tuesday, then I can make all these parts fit together and look like something.

#111 ·
Man I love Chrysler....just ordered a complete set of brake lines for my car, total $160. Pre-bent, all attaching clips, fittings, etc, ready to install. Hell the front left line was $5.66. It would have easily taken me 10 hours to hand make all the brake lines...and make them look factory.

The original lines are a bit rusty (funny because nothing else on the car is rusty), so with my conversion from regular ABS to ABS w/TRAC I would never get the old brake lines off of the controller without damaging them.

New brake lines arrive Friday.
I gave my local dealer a call to see what the cost would be for a complete brake line set for my 99 Trep. Man was he confused, (or rather I don't think he wanted to look up each individual line) Is there anything to this? I mean should it be that difficult? Shouldnt they just take the VIN# and look up a set?

#59 · (Edited)
Today's project, convert the engine to 02+ electronics, and install the new transmission:

The old tranny coming off, "new" one with 900 miles being installed, along with the 02 flywheel, and removal of the egr valve:

Installed the 02 wiring harness, and changed the left cam sprocket:

The "helpers" they were making sure I did it correctly:

New tranny all buttoned on:

Found my elusive coolant leak....4 year old gates water pump:

Ali doing the stinky finger club sign, and Doug doing the clean freak on my engine:

An engine bay teaser:

#118 · (Edited)
Axle removal question

Today's project, convert the engine to 02+ electronics, and install the new transmission:

The old tranny coming off, "new" one with 900 miles being installed, along with the 02 flywheel, and removal of the egr valve:
I will be pulling my 2nd 3.5 engine. This time I want to pull the engine with the trans. still bolted up. I noticed that when you did it, you disconnected the axel's at the boot. Instead of pulling the axel's out. Which I assume is faster! But how do you put the axel back together, after reinstalling the trans?

Thanks for the help.

#65 ·
She'll be getting my own special clean freak treatment before installation :listen:

Just unloaded her off the flatbed. Ready for the re-assembly phase!!

#68 · (Edited)
Doug and I paid Shawn a visit and picked up the fuel tank and a couple other items today. Thanks again Shawn for transporting them from Ross's.

We also picked up the new brake lines from the dealer, in some rather creative packaging: