DodgeIntrepid.Net Forums banner

V3 Intake Spacer Coming Soon... Need input and a list for group buy!

14K views 134 replies 20 participants last post by  Loaner 
#1 · (Edited)
Hey guys,

So I recently purchased one of the original intake spacers from a club member and I plan on reproducing it. My idea is to use my intake spacer as a donor to be recreated digitally through some software I have access to at my University. Ideally, I should just be able to transfer measurements into the computer and then send the file over to a machine shop for production. I already have a good friend lined up to make the parts and I trust him to make a quality product. I have already worked with him in the past with the production of other parts and accessories.

Here are a few details about the spacer itself form previous threads..

It is an aluminum spacer that goes where the gasket between the intake plenum and lower intake manifold goes. It is shaped like the gasket but is thicker - 3/8" thick - so it raises the intake plenum up 3/8". The longer air flow path increases mid to high end torque.

It gives 30 ft-lbs of added torque in the middle rpm range
SPAD3 said:
Here are the dyno results. This mod is one of the few that are custom made. The are precision cut to match the lower intake perfectly. Over 35 are currently installed, with no returns.

It increases the runner length, lowering the power band, which adds to the torque. Its one mod you can feel the difference with. Some have *reported* a gain of 1-2 MPG. This is unconfirmed though. I noticed a 1 MPG change in my personal cars.

V2 Spacer - Image from Spad3

V2 Spacer - Image from Spad3

Current CAD model in progress...

Current Package Deals

Core Package - $150 + $15 core
- Intake Spacer
- Extended Bolt Set
- Altered Plenum Brackets ($15 core charge refunded when old brackets are mailed back)

99-early02 "EGR" Package - $150 + $55 core
- Intake Spacer
- Extended Bolt Set
- Altered Plenum Brackets ($15 core charge refunded when old brackets are mailed back)
- Extended EGR Tube ($40 core charge refunded when old tube is mailed back)

Core Gasket Kit - $24.50
- x2 MS91990 Plenum Gasket
- 61068 Throttle Body Gasket

99-early02 "EGR" Gasket Kit - $28.50
- x2 MS91990 Plenum Gasket
- 61068 Throttle Body Gasket
- 70720 EGR Mounting Gasket
- x2 72928 EGR Tube Seal

I wanted to start a list of those who are JUST interested in getting a V3 Spacer, this is not a commitment list, just a list for me to get an idea on who would be interested in buying one.

Updated List*

If you are interested add your name to the list below:
1. Austin R/T (DI)
2. Adpros (DI)
3. YesImLDS (DI)
4. DjGreggieP (DI)
5. Bigde024 (DI)
6. Kent Vice (300M Club)
7. 300M-Mike (300M Club)
8. hrmwrm (LH)
9. chosen3001 (300M Club)
10. srt420 (LH)
11. Henry (N/A)
12. Cornelius (300M Club)
13. SilverSpecial (300M Club)
14. 02SilverSpecial6.1 (300M Club)
15. Fromans4 (LH)
16. Avalancha805 (DI)
17. akiharho- ledgic_13 (300M Club)
18. '87IROCZOWNER69 (DI)
19. BiliTheAxe (DI)
20. Mopar340dave (300M Club)
21. BXZ (300M Club)
22. BatCaveTrep (DI)

Thanks again,
-Ryan

See less See more
#2 ·
Hey guys,

So I recently purchased one of the original intake spacers from a club member and I plan on reproducing it. My idea is to use my intake spacer as a donor to be recreated digitally through some software I have access to at my University. Ideally, I should just be able to transfer measurements into the computer and then send the file over to a machine shop for production. I already have a good friend lined up to make the parts and I trust him to make a quality product. I have already worked with him in the past with the production of other parts and accessories.

Here is a picture of the old spacer (gaskets wouldn't be included)

My question to you guys is the following.

1. Should there be any changes to the current Intake Spacer (for those of you who have already installed one)?
2. Who would be interested in purchasing a new V3 Intake Spacer if I get them produced.

I know the previous cost was around $150 shipped or so and my goal is to land a price around there as well. However, I need to find out a little more about the part in order to get a realistic number down from the machine shop.

I wanted to start a list of those who are JUST interested in getting a V3 Spacer, this is not a commitment list, just a list for me to get an idea on who would be interested in buying one.

For those interested please just copy and paste the list as you have done on other threads.

1. Austin R/T

Thanks again,
-Ryan
Thank you!

#3 ·
Hey guys,

Here is a picture of the old spacer (gaskets wouldn't be included)

My question to you guys is the following.

1. Should there be any changes to the current Intake Spacer (for those of you who have already installed one)?
2. Who would be interested in purchasing a new V3 Intake Spacer if I get them produced.

I know the previous cost was around $150 shipped or so and my goal is to land a price around there as well. However, I need to find out a little more about the part in order to get a realistic number down from the machine shop.

For those interested please just copy and paste the list as you have done on other threads.

1. Austin R/T
2. Adpros

Thanks again,
-Ryan
Had to re-quote this to add my name.

Give me specs on the bolts as well. There may be some already produced bolts available.

#6 · (Edited)
It adds about 30 ft/lbs of middle end torque by increasing air volume in the upper intake.

It is an aluminum spacer that goes where the gasket between the intake plenum and lower intake manifold goes. It is shaped like the gasket but is thicker - 3/8" thick - so it raises the intake plenum up 3/8". The longer air flow path increases middle to high end torque.
SPAD3 said:
Here are the dyno results. This mod is one of the few that are custom made. The are precision cut to match the lower intake perfectly. Over 35 are currently installed, with no returns.

It increases the runner length, lowering the power band, which adds to the torque. Its one mod you can feel the difference with. Some have *reported* a gain of 1-2 MPG. This is unconfirmed though. I noticed a 1 MPG change in my personal cars.

#5 ·
I'm waiting for my V2 spacer to come in the mail as of now. I talked to my supplier and he said he may be able to find the bolts or at least find one of larger length and cut them down to size if needed.

When I get the V2 spacer I will post the thread type and bolt length.

Thanks for all the interest guys! Here is the current list that can be re-quoted so you dont need to repost the entire thread :p

1. Austin R/T
2. Adpros

#10 ·
Just got done exchanging emails with the machine shop and I should be able to put the price at $150.00 w/ free shipping, just as the previous ones were priced at. I think at one point they were even $200 ea?

But like I said, the cost of these should be $150 even. I appreciate all the interest so far and hopefully these will be ready within the next month!

#12 · (Edited)
What do you think about having a grove made for the gasket? This way you can put the gasket under the plenum and then another under the intake spacer. You would use the same gasket as the one that goes under your plenum.

Good idea? Bad idea? Gasket just isn't needed? What are everyone's thoughts?

* Updated List
1. Austin R/T (DI)
2. Adpros (DI)
3. YesImLDS (DI)
4. DjGreggieP (DI)
5. Bigde024 (DI)
6. Kent Vice (300M Club)
7. 300M-Mike (300M Club)

#16 ·
Groove will be going in then! Shouldn't be too big of a hassle.

Next ordeal would be the EGR hoses for 99-01 vehicles. I've read they don't line back up (3/8" off due to spacer) and will require either..

A. Modification
- Bend hoses
- Extend pipe by welding 3/8" of tube on the spacer
- Extend gaskets up and lower intake over ERG tubes and tighten

B. Removal
- Cap EGR and forget about it (have heard this MAY cause rough idle/CEL)

What I was considering was doing a "core" charge for the EGR tubes and I will send you a modified (extended) EGR tube and have the welding done by a friend locally. Send me old EGR and I can send the core charge back. Similar to how Spad3 offered.

Thoughts?

#18 ·
Updated List:

1. Austin R/T (DI)
2. Adpros (DI)
3. YesImLDS (DI)
4. DjGreggieP (DI)
5. Bigde024 (DI)
6. Kent Vice (300M Club)
7. 300M-Mike (300M Club)
8. Ledgic_13 (LH)
9. hrmwrm (LH)

Does anyone have any ideas about getting the plenum gaskets cheap? I see VICTOR REINZ brand gaskets are VERY cheap but this also scares me a little. I can buy them in bulk to help bring down price but not sure where or what brand is best option. Any ideas?

#19 ·
I've been a little out of the loop, but what happened to Josh making the spacers?

I actually can have a lot of design input here. I've had both previous versions, was an early adopter of the original (second or third IIRC), and was actually part of the initial design process for V2 before the machining was handed over to Josh. I would wager I personally have done the most with intake spacers on my car for a second gen LH owner. If you want to see it for yourself it's all here.

http://www.dodgeintrepid.net/showthread.php?t=176230

Even the V2 design doesn't actually match up perfectly. If you really wanted to do this right you need to base measurements off either the LIM, plenum, or ideally both. To get this effect I took a V2 spacer and reground the openings to match the ported LIM I was making, but the shape is pretty close as is to the LIM. The plenum on the other hand has significantly different ports that don't match up, so there is a pretty rough transition in the air pathways. I went the whole 9 yards of grinding/sanding/polishing out the plenum to match the opened up spacer I used.

It all depends on how "all out" you're interested in going. I tend to be a over the top kind of guy.

I never did anything special to deal with the EGR, which my car has. A little bit of bending but mostly just some skill in re installing the plenum and it seals up fine. I've been running this for something like 7 years and never a leak. I've given tips on it to a few before, but for others it's been hit or miss if they've been able to replicate my success. I used the push gaskets up to the top of the tube method, but you have to be careful not to wobble the plenum while re installing. If it leans to one side it will push that gasket back down.
Josh would weld extensions on tubes for people as you mentioned as an option.

As far as grooves for a gasket. It would certainly make installation easier, but I'll voice a few concerns. The grooves to fit the gasket correctly would have to be pretty deep relative to the thickness of these spacers. It would probably cut half way through the material. Also the aluminum spacers are generally machined out of is very soft, and RTV does an excellent job of sealing the surface regardless of scratches that may end up on the spacer. I'm sure a groove method to use another gasket could be made to work, but I would be weary of taking the chance instead of a fairly easy method that is tried and true.

I'll be glad to share any more of my experiences with you about spacers if you have questions.

#20 ·
As far as grooves for a gasket. It would certainly make installation easier, but I'll voice a few concerns. The grooves to fit the gasket correctly would have to be pretty deep relative to the thickness of these spacers. It would probably cut half way through the material. Also the aluminum spacers are generally machined out of is very soft, and RTV does an excellent job of sealing the surface regardless of scratches that may end up on the spacer. I'm sure a groove method to use another gasket could be made to work, but I would be weary of taking the chance instead of a fairly easy method that is tried and true.

I'll be glad to share any more of my experiences with you about spacers if you have questions.
I think I might be inclined to agree here. If you make the groove too deep, you might be inviting the opportunity for cracking them.

Mopar has a new tri-bond RTV mostly used on the 3.6L timing covers and pans which is much better than any of the standard RTV products. Perhaps a shallow groove would be OK and then filled with the tri-bond?

#27 ·
I was asked about making the outside walls thicker. That way if you drop it its less likely to chip. I was thinking about increasing it from 3/8" (from groove to edge) to 1/2"

I was also consider making these 1/2" spacers only (forcing 99-01 to modify the EGR tube by welding an extension on). This will make the V3 spacer a little more unique and give you a little better performance.

Thoughts?

#28 ·
Instead of trying to make it thicker around the outside edge make it a slight bit wider. There really is no reason to make it match so closely to the outside edge of the LIM other than weight, which for that amount is completely irrelevant. The inside edge is the one that needs to be accurate.

#30 ·
I am really liking where this is going. I mentioned this to a friend, even showed him the dyno, and he is still dead set on 'no, its impossible, it won't work like that'

I am debating on doing an EGR delete so I am liking the idea of a 1/2 inch spacer.

#32 · (Edited)
If you want to think of it this way, a throttle body spacer is already a well known and manufactured part. All this part does is increase volume in the upper intake. It doesn't matter how you increase the volume, you will still get the same effect. Whether its extending the TB out backwards or pushing the upper intake upwards, your still effectively increasing volume within the system.

That makes senses to me...

Updated List...
1. Austin R/T (DI)
2. Adpros (DI)
3. YesImLDS (DI)
4. DjGreggieP (DI)
5. Bigde024 (DI)
6. Kent Vice (300M Club)
7. 300M-Mike (300M Club)
8. Ledgic_13 (LH)
9. hrmwrm (LH)
10. chosen3001 (300M Club)

#33 ·
If you want to think of it this way, a throttle body spacer is already a well known and manufactured part. All this part does is increase volume in the upper intake. It doesn't matter how you increase the volume, you will still get the same effect. Whether its extending the TB out backwards or pushing the upper intake upwards, your still effectively increasing volume within the system.

That makes senses to me...
As I understand it a large part of what it does has to do with changing the path length between TB and cylinder. The different path lengths optimize the flow at different points in the RPM range, hence why the 3.2/5 uses the two separate paths that are controlled by the SRV. One functions better at higher RPMs than the other. From the factory most cars in this range are made to be easy to drive for the average person, so they aren't supposed to be jumpy off the line. We want performance, particularly acceleration off the line, so shifting the power band down from where it comes from the factory is a positive.

#35 ·
Updated List...
1. Austin R/T (DI)
2. Adpros (DI)
3. YesImLDS (DI)
4. DjGreggieP (DI)
5. Bigde024 (DI)
6. Kent Vice (300M Club)
7. 300M-Mike (300M Club)
8. Ledgic_13 (LH)
9. hrmwrm (LH)
10. chosen3001 (300M Club)
11. srt420 (LH)
12. Henry (N/A)

Just got my digital calipers in the mail the other day and started refining the measurements. I hope to have the prototype sent out by early next month. I just finished my half semester of Calc 3 so I suddenly have TONS of free time lol. So far so good!

Also ordered an EGR tube to get welded up in the meantime and now I'm just looking for a spare plenum. Found two at the yard but the guy up front decided to search every part I asked for to come up with his prices so I decided he didn't deserve my business. Its a junk yard... I pull the part, you do nothing... so why do I get the prices that have to compensate for removal costs, cleaning, and sales costs. Stupid yard....

#36 ·
Are you going to be doing work on the plenum or just taking measurements? I have calipers and I'm pretty sure I have a spare plenum stashed somewhere around here (I know I have it, just not sure where). If all else fails I could send it to you if you don't find one.

Honestly though I think anyone doing the spacer should spend a little time port matching the plenum. You don't have to go as crazy as me but smooth out the transition a little bit. All it takes is patience and elbow grease with some sandpaper.

#37 ·
If it comes to that I mean I'd really appreciate the offer but shipping those big things is a PITA. I couldn't let you do that though. I'll just have to poke around here until someone gives me one for a reasonable price. I HAD one on my parts car but sold it! Regretting that now. But I'll find a trep with one or an LHS with a 3.2 or 3.5 and pull it from there. Just a matter of time.

I was thinking about designing the spacer to take this into consideration and make an inside edge like this...

Someone else said since it hasn't been dyno'd you really don't know what its effect would be... so maybe not worth doing.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.