DodgeIntrepid.Net Forums banner

So this morning my indiglo back light won't come on for my gauges

5K views 22 replies 10 participants last post by  Ronbo 
#1 ·
The gauges work, but no backlight. I tried messing with the dimmer switch etc and they won't come on. Every other light in the dash behaves normally.

Is it just one bulb for the gauge package? If not I would find it odd for them all to go at once.

#8 ·
TFC = torontofirecaptain. Him and Daytrepper are considered the two top LH repairers/modders, but Daytrepper/Dan is in the US.

The mileage, speed, etc. will show up correctly. The gauges are plug-and-play.

That being said, I'm not entirely sure Craig's statement is correct; I do not believe there were SRS-specific clusters. If you put non-airbag seats in a originally SRS equipped car I know the light will come on, but I'm not certain if the clusters were any different.

That being said, you'll want a 02 + cluster. There are repeated issues with older/new clusters between the years, so your safest bet is to go 02 +.

#10 ·
Im not 100% on the SRS but I do know that ABS plays a role too. If you dont have ABS then both your ABS light and your Parking Brake light will stay illuminated until the cluster is reprogrammed by a DRBIII. I had that issue with my Special cluster

#9 ·
for some reason I couldn't find this thread last night when I did a quick search. first of all, I will say that I can understand how annoying it is to not have those lights working. Mine quit last night just seconds after I started my car. Thanks for making it so I would not have to start an identical thread.

#11 · (Edited)
So I've had 2 consecutive mornings where the lights didn't come on including the morning that made me start this thread.

They've come on ever since both dark early morning and night time. Wtf?

Is there anyway someone can confirm about the side air bags and using a cluster from a car that didn't have them?

#12 · (Edited)
Is there anyway someone can confirm about the side air bags and using a cluster from a car that didn't have them?
I can't confirm it but I am fairly certain the ones with side airbags and the ones without will not interchange. You can buy a cluster on ebay for like $27obo shipped to you. If you find out that they do not interchange you *probably* can take them both apart and swap out the back-lights, making one good one.

#18 ·
The inverter and ballast for the EL sheet could be going south - I'm not sure where that is or how it is replaced on those clusters, but that''s my guess. You could possibly disable the OEM one and put in an aftermarket one from eBay or something - I'm not sure how much they'd be to replace, or what models could be used to replace it...

#20 ·
Yesterday I found out that heat seems to affect the operation. When the car is cold they dont illuminate, however on longer drives when the interior gets good and warm they will work. I am assuming at this point that it it a loose solder connection on the circuit board similar to the display issues on the atc heads.

#21 ·
Yep....take the cluster apart and try re-soldering the ballast connections.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.