DodgeIntrepid.Net Forums banner

Tail light lighting mod help

3K views 24 replies 6 participants last post by  33236 
#1 ·
What I'm trying to do is make it so my brake lights will act as my brake lights as usual and also as my turn signals so i can just paint over the original turn signals on my tail lights.

This idea was hinted at in this thread: http://www.dodgeintrepid.net/showthread.php?t=115097&highlight=brake+light+as+turn+signal

But it was not really answered.

Ive been searching around for detailed instructions on how to do this easiest and I'm hoping this forum can help explain this to me a bit simpler (I'm not very good with wiring/circuitry).

From what I understand, you cannot simply bridge a wire from the turn signal power to the brake light power. If you do this, when the break is compressed, the turn signal will be hard on and the brake will be hard on and you will have no flashing turn signal.

I read that a solution to this would be to bridge the turn signal power with the brake light power using a diode (not sure how much, this person said 2x 10amp diodes) because a diode only allows current flow in one direction. This would allow the brakes to continue flashing with the turn signal even when the brake is compressed.

Is this theory correct? And if so can somebody explain to me which diodes to buy and how exactly to bridge the connections with them?

Appreciate the help!
Thank you.

See less See more
#3 ·
Maybe a video will help to better explain it. Im looking for something like this

obviously he has many led's powering his setup, my tails would only have the 2 leds per tail light.

But anyway, as you can see at around 29 seconds into the video, his turn still flashes when his brake lights are on. That's what im looking to accomplish.

#5 ·
They've got them at U-Haul. The one for the Intrepid does exactly what he needs.

The price wasn't that bad either.

#7 ·
I looked and I only found a one page wiring pdf: 16364.pdf I'm only 97% sure this is what I have.

I'll look again tomorrow.

#8 ·
Here is what you need: Powered Taillight Converter

This would install in your trunk ... you will have to do some creative wiring here, but nothing you can't figure out. You need to feed power, ground, brake light signal, and each turn signal (and the taillights if you want) into this device, rather than your light bulbs... then the output of this device goes to your bulbs... allowing you to combine your brake lights and turn signals into a single element per side.

The "Tow Vehicle" side of the box is what your old lighting system is - so this would be still the "car" side of the box... then the "Trailer" end of the box becomes your tail lights on your car.

Here are the instructions (from a different, but similar unit)... but you're going to have to think outside the box on this one - there aren't going to be instructions out there to do what you want to do to your model of car, you're going to have to do some head scratching on your own for this...

It is really fairly simple and straight forward though if you think about it a little bit, and plan your work.

#10 ·
Post back your results. That box can be found at most larger Walmarts, most auto parts stores, U-Haul as mentioned, probably even some truck and trailer places. Larger boat dealers would likely have them. I can even sell you one from our shop if you want, but I think you'll find one locally simply enough.

#13 ·
Apparently U-Haul has a plug and play version that will plug right into the wire harness at the back - then you don't have to do the figuring and splicing... Just wire up the new lights to the output of the converter.

Dan (?) has the right idea.

#14 ·
I agree utilizing the plug and play version is probably a lot easier.
http://www.etrailer.com/Custom-Fit-Vehicle-Wiring/Dodge/Intrepid/2002/118364.html?vehicleid=2002723

Here's what I think I've got figured out. Let me know if I've got it wrong.

Now if this is correct,
Is there any way I could simply cut off the plugs labeled as "leave unplugged" and wire them back on over where the 4 pole trailer connector was?
That way I can just plug that side into my tail lights without cutting and splicing my tail light harness.

So it would look something like this.

Thank you by the way, I appreciate the help and feedback

#16 ·
The only thing that comes to mind though is if your blinkers will blink at an odd rate, since it will be missing the load of the extra light bulb. You may need to add a resistor to the blinker lines to emulate a bulb, or put a fender blinker in or something...

#20 ·
Finished putting together my harness today, works like a charm. My signals flash at a normal rate when im off the brakes. But when the brakes are compressed at the same time as the turn signal they hyperflash. I still have the stock incandescent bulbs in. I plan on converting all my external lights over to led eventually so ill need to install that ep-27 relay to solve the hyperflashing problem. Will the relay solve the hyperflashing problem im having now with the stock bulbs and continue to solve the problem once i swap over to led?

I can upload a video of them tomorrow if you'd like a visual.

#22 ·
Installed an EP27 flasher today which fixed my hyperflashing issue.
Here's a quick vid

http://imageshack.us/clip/my-videos/96/zvtrvtmlfdzspyvvnracpa.mp4/

Still need to replace the 194 bulbs on the outside of each tail.
Would it be possible to wire up that outside 194 bulb to my brake/turn signal feed as well so it functions like my 3157 bulbs (running/brake/turn) or can it only be utilized as a running light?

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.