DodgeIntrepid.Net Forums banner

lowered intrepid axle problems

1K views 10 replies 6 participants last post by  Archael 
#1 ·
have any other guys with lowered intrepids have any right side axle problems??
other than the acceleration vibration..such as broken axle boots or grease getting past the clamps?
ive had two right side axles rebuilt and one replaced.....
they all spin the grease out and rip boots yes its lowered never been wrecked
and has a perfect alignment o degrees of toe and 1/2 degree negetive camber
sai and caster are all within specs.. my intrepid is heavily modified 2 stage 100 shot of nos and a fully built 2.7 any input would be appreciaTED

#2 ·
baggedintrepid said:
my intrepid is heavily modified 2 stage 100 shot of nos and a fully built 2.7 any input would be appreciaTED
I would guess that your problem lies right there. This is the first I've heard of any exle problems....trans problems, yes, but not axle probs.... BTW...just what exactly do you mean by a "fully built 2.7?"

#3 ·
to start from the top ported and polished heads bigger valves
forged pistons and rods some mild cam work ... i had the notor built by russ racing in hollywood it was destroyed with as healthy shot of nos but i dont have any problems with it anymore it holds a 100 shot and it can run on 110 octane leaded gas with no problems it also has a k&n intake and kenne bell optomizer upgrade

#4 ·
From what it looks like you have lowering springs correct?

If so you need to find either A. the engine and trans. mount spacers or B. contact a member(not sure who has them) who has thier mesurements and make your own.

The reason is that when you lower the Intrepid you put the drive shave at an almost horizontal or level with the motor plain, CV axles like to have some inclination to them (usualy higher at the motor and lower at the wheel). So when you lower the car they create the vibration noises that can be fix by the spacers that raise the motor and trans. just enough to eliminate the noise.

#6 ·
actually if your running intrax your axles are about an inch higher on the hub side than the tranny side and my intrepid was one of the first to be dropped back in 2000 im guessin those intrax springs are saggin quite a bit because i can only get on finger between my tire and the fender and quarter panel and im running 245/40-18s
i definetly need those spacers and im willing to pay top dollar for them i dont want h&r springs i like my car slammed thats why my tag sais slamdazfuk my email address is intrepid00@aol.com sorry i havent been on in so long for those who have been trying to reach my im usually on the magnum site

#8 ·
dude thats a great ****in idea i wonder if the prowler has an open diff or an lsd

#10 ·
One thing you might want to check.
Your engine/transmission assembly must be centered in the body.
As the suspension compresses the axle effectively gets shorter.
If the eng/trans assembly is not centered you may be running out of axle spline on one side, damaging the axle.

The only way I know to check this is to remove both axle nuts.
With the car sitting on the ground, at normal ride height, push the axle in on the wheel bearing spline. Both sides should slide in the same amount. Approximately 5/8".

#11 ·
Phantom Grip makes LSD's for LH bodies .. as well as ACR. He makes them himself. I've sent him a PM about one but have yet to recieve a reply.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.