DodgeIntrepid.Net Forums banner

very confusing engine codes.. please advise

2K views 16 replies 5 participants last post by  MasterTech 
#1 · (Edited)
2 weeks ago I did a check engine code diagnosis (3 key-turns) and ended up with 12, 21, 51, 54, 55.. I replaced the Camshalft position sensor.. the check engine light only rarely comes on now.. before it comes on the codes read 12 and 55.. no problems. But when it comes on it reads 12, 21, then 4 flashes, pause, and a VERY long "flash" (glow?), it then proceeds to what I THINK is supposed to be the 55 code, it does 4 flashes and a final SLIGHTLY longer flash, then 4 more flashes before it ends and there is no more flashing.

Please do not tell me it is a bad PCM. If it is the case then tell me how it is anything but useless info. I may not replace it and the car runs. :talk01:

I have an odd feeling this is never going to be answered (see thread: http://www.dodgeintrepid.net/showthread.php?t=70273 )

#4 ·
Upload a video? (or send me a PM and it will be taken care of, just ask THE_JACKFISH) but I had the same thing just before my PCM decided to fry. Try putting the computer in the freezer, then see if it will run. Believe it or not, this worked for me.

#7 · (Edited)
Alright, I have created the video. https://www.dropbox.com/s/iy5ppeoqotiu9si/sdfa.mp4

As you will see in the video, I have it on, turn it off, start doing the diagnostic thing, I record it ALL.. then show you that it does not continue flashing after that last 4 flashes.. then I turn the car BACK on to show you that the Check Engine light does NOT come back on immediately.. Code 21 should always give a Check Engine light

#8 · (Edited)
hmm have you tried giving the dealer a call and seeing what they think about it? hell prob end up saying "well i cant tell for sure unless you bring it in" because they want your money but, he should give you some general info on it weither or not it should be doing that at all, i myself have never read or seen anything about a long flash on CEL, but its not like ive been around here forever.

but i do know from personal exp things will happen they cannot explain, i had my transmission solenoid pack start beeping one time after unplugging then replugging it in, pins checked out fine and a call to the dealership they said no Chrysler transmission has any audible device in it, reseating it a few times fixxed the problem, but gave me a big LOL when the guy told me nothings been known to make any noise.

#9 ·
wow.. that's really weird................ let's just hope it's people making weird modifications...

As for "the dealer".. I didn't get it from a dealer.. lol.. But I'm going to try to conclude that I will need some 1st party professional advice if I do another PCM reset and it still does it.. I suppose I should fix the O2 sensor problem before that, though

#14 ·
Maybe... you would think. but the engine runs rough and my mechanic thinks it might be the vacuum lines, he's going to check, plus get the new spark plugs and wires on.
Do you think the O2 sensor would cause this? In my experience O2 sensors don't cause a LOT of trouble.. only a little. Usually not enough to be so noticeable.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.