DodgeIntrepid.Net Forums banner

Inner tie rod bolts

5K views 16 replies 7 participants last post by  Daytrepper 
#1 ·
1999 Intrepid. I installed a rebuilt steering rack 6 months ago. Both inner tie rod bolts simultaneously broke off rack. Locking tabs still in place. Original torque was 60. Now I see it has been revised to 74. Was that my problem?

#2 ·
When the rack was replaced, do you know for a fact you got the shuttle and spacer both bolted through at both tie-rods?

I don't know if that'd be your problem or not - I don't think I even set mine to a specific torque when I put mine in! I wonder what I did... hrrrm...

#5 ·
were you driving this car at the time, like as in going around a corner? I also wonder if you replaced the bolts. Some kits come with new bolts. Mine did not. I could see the bolts being inferiour grade and shearing. What do you mean they broke off?

#6 ·
I was backing up and started to cut the wheel. Heard a bang. Reached into both wheel wells and inner tie rod ends were loose as a goose and disconnected. Haven't pulled it apart yet. Yes, I did use original bolts. Good thing I wasn't on the road or the highway!

#7 ·
Im not sure if this had anything to do with what has happened with your car but when i replaced my rack i didn't notice that when i remounted the tie-rod ends the washers in between the bushings and inner rack were pinched over the lip of the rack boot and the movement turning left and right eventually freed them causing the bolts to be instantly be loose.

I did catch mine before any damage happened but when you fix yours again its something to pay attention to.

#10 ·
Happened to me once and I think it must have been my fault. I think I had the rubber pinched between the bolts. I ended up having to replace the rack.

#12 ·
Both bolts broke off in rack. Dodge has a bulletin out saying that the torque needs to be increased from 60 to 74 and newer bolts are available to handle it. They're saying that at 60 the bolts are loosening up, even with lock tabs bent over, and causing them to snap under stress. Gonna do it tomorrow. Nice pic.

#13 ·
I doubt if the torque value was the problem, unless of course they weren't even close to tight. I have done inner tie rods several times and never used a torque wrench. I don't even think there is room for one.

#14 ·
Go to google. there's a site complaining about huge problems out there re snapping bolts on the inner tie rods for our cars. They say that the torque fix is BS. I had replaced the rack 8 months ago and torqued the original bolts to 60. They snapped. Doing it again with new bolts to 74 per bulletin. Yes, I fit a torque wrench in there last time.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.