DodgeIntrepid.Net Forums banner

3.5 cam timing marks

6K views 7 replies 4 participants last post by  Marty Mcfly 
#1 ·
Gentlemen I am in the process of installing my timing belt , water pump ETC and have a question. If the cam marks fall between the two dots is this sufficient to maintain timing. I have been trying to get them exact for the past 2 hours and seem to always fall off center a tooth . Thank you in advance .

#7 ·
with it to the left, it can cause a cam/crank misalignment that the ECM may not like.
The engine will run up to about 1200 RPM, but may misfire after that.
There is only a tolerance of about 1 to 1.5 degrees variance.
Only way to know, without a DRBIII to measure it, is to drive it and see if it misfires or has a noticable lack of power.

#6 ·
You can also use a dial indicator attached to a rod in the #1 spark plug hole to find exact TDC. Usually only necessary when the cam pulley or head is removed. Its done along with the cam holding tools, and is the most precise way of timing it.

#8 ·
Well I "Dodged" a bullet as it fired right up and drives like it always did despite not getting the cam marks exactly where they were prior. The only noticable difference is a slight whine which I would assume is the new belts I installed along with the timing belt. Actually I was surprised how big of a pain this job was . I have a old Chevelle and it is all gravy compared to working on this car . Thank you all for your advice and comments and hopefully I will get the same miles (97,000) out of this waterpump/timing belt.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.