DodgeIntrepid.Net Forums banner

Bad Fuel Pump?

16K views 23 replies 9 participants last post by  Davemd 
#1 ·
Hey guys,

I'm having some odd problems with the Intrepid lately. I think there I have a problem with my fuel pump. The symptoms are hard starts. It takes a good 10-15 seconds to start the car but it will start. It has backfired a couple times while trying to start. I tested every injector and they all came back withing the 12 ohm resistance range. I do not see any evidence of fuel injector leaking. (Smells like gas, seeing fuel trapped in cylinders...etc.

When I hook a gauge up to the fuel rail and turn the key it reads zero pressure. If I flip the key back back and fourth between ignition and off the gauge still reads at zero. After I get it started, the gauge will go to about 45 pounds of pressure. After I shut off the engine the gauge immediately goes down to zero. Once it did this, i then removed the plenum looking for any signs of an injector leaking gas, to which I did not find any.

Does anyone have any other ideas, or should I just replace the pump? I am thinking the regulator is bad and thus the drain back. This will be the second time I replaced the pump as I replaced about 50,000 miles ago after the other one started acting up.

#2 · (Edited)
Definite indicator of a bad fuel pump....gauge should snap to 41-57 psi KOEO....shouldnt lose more than 10 lbs in 15 mins....also KOEO....

This is assuming your gauge is accurate, ASD relay is good, (and ECM signals to it are good), crankshaft sensor is good, and there are NO trouble codes.

If your running an aftermarket pump, wouldnt be surprised if it was bad again.

#3 ·
I think the gauge is accurate as it does get pressure after the engine is started and runs at 45 ish PSI. I have no reason to suspect the gauge just from appearance. I suppose i could hook it up to the Jeep and check.

While troubleshooting the starting problems, I did swap out the cam and crank sensors, so both are new. :)

But no codes other than the battery disconnect 50 start code :(

#4 ·
X2 on the bad fuel pressure regulator. Backfire would be from a momentary lean condition caused by no/low fuel pressure when trying to start. If you turn the key to the start position and let the pump prime the system then wait a couple of seconds before turning to start position will it fire right up? So anyways my .02 is on the pump!

#11 ·
Invariably, (While doing any job that requires fuel tank removal), The customer manages to "Do us a favor" and fills the tank all the way up. This leads to dragging out the fuel recovery unit and waiting for it to pump the tank down to a manageable level. (Time added). Then doing the job, only to find out the parts dept. has ordered the wrong part. (More time added). Then realizing some S.O.B. who has the day off, managed to break the recovery unit so it won't switch to re-fill. Then, after fixing the damn thing, putting the correct part in and re-installing the tank, finally finishing the job.

Yes, on paper and by the book it looks soooo easy to do this but, in the real world, (At least mine), there are complications that lead to holes cut in the floor. I think someone had posted about lifting the bed on a truck. Yes, that is how I regularly do that job. Anything to keep from removing a tank somehow seems to be a benefit. IMHO :takethat:

#13 ·
Never emptied a tank. Used a transmission jack to lower the full tank. Kept spare hose plugs for the full ones to prevent fuel spill. Cake walk. Took a full 42 gallon tank down out of a dodge van one time to swap the pump, no problem. Lowered it about 2 feet, popped the new fuel pump in, back up, done. There are a few exceptions such as some Camaros but you dont run into that very much.

Never did get removing the bed on a truck to change the pump. 6 bolts+, which are often seized up, not to mention lifting the huge bed off, then lining it back up to reinstall, (and risking dents/damage/scratches) when you can strap a transmission jack under the tank, or a good floor jack, secure it, disconnect the filler pipe, and have it down in a few minutes.

To each their own method, everyone has one.

i just love the simplicity of the "cut hole in floor" maneouver...simply beautiful....hehehe
For lack of a better description, cutting a hole in the floor is a hack job, IMO. Plus, how are you going to properly seal and paint the hole from the underside and prevent it from rusting out or leaking water in the future? Like I said before, to each their own.

#14 ·
Have to agree with Daytrepper on cutting a hole in the floor. Also what about the liability of cutting a hole and if it's not properly sealed, carbon monoxide could build up in the cabin, How about the posibility of a fire penetrating through the hole you cut in the floor (if there was a fire under the car)! It's just best to follow how it's done in FSM. So what if it would take's a little longer to do it right!

#20 ·
Well I swapped out the tanks. The car seems to run smoother. However today after letting it sit, as soon as I tried to start it it backfired and smoke started coming out of the hood.

Could this be caused by a leaking fuel injector puddling gas? I already checked the resistance on all of the injectors and they all checked out.

#21 · (Edited)
My mechanic checked the booktime on the FP replacement...it said 1.8 hr which is what Daytrepper said.......if there was a concern of rust, I would rubberguard (black tar-like product) the edges on both the flap and the floor before mating the 2 surfaces....one benefit of the "duct tape" procedure...is you can do it in your house garage without a hoist or ramps.......luckily, i dont have to make the decision yet on which method to use...

#23 ·
Possible bad fuel pump

Hello there I have a 02 Dodge Intrepid with 163,000 miles and I was driving last weekend and it just shut down on me although I had little to no gas when the gas light came on just as I went by a gas station now it won't start. I'm no mechanic but know simple things about a car and it will turn on but just won't start like it's missing something or not getting gas to the engine, Could it be the fuel pump?

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.