DodgeIntrepid.Net Forums banner

blower resister pack?

3K views 18 replies 8 participants last post by  zstroken 
#1 ·
Sorry if this is a sticky somewhere, I just did a couple of quick searches and didn't find this anywhere...:smileyvault-newhere

I just picked up a '99 intrepid and the heater/ac blower only works at full speed. Is this most likely a resister issue? I know on an old ford contour I had that was a pretty common problem.

Where is that resister pack located on a 2nd gen intrepid?

Any other thoughts are appreciated too!

#6 ·
Sorry if this is a sticky somewhere, I just did a couple of quick searches and didn't find this anywhere...:smileyvault-newhere

I just picked up a '99 intrepid and the heater/ac blower only works at full speed. Is this most likely a resister issue? I know on an old ford contour I had that was a pretty common problem.

Where is that resister pack located on a 2nd gen intrepid?

Any other thoughts are appreciated too!

I'm 99.9% positive it's your blower motor resistor. It happen to my car twice in a matter of weeks. Fan only works on high. You can get them at Rock Auto very cheap. It's really a 20 to 30 minute job to change. It's located on the blower motor, below dash on the floor. Take off the duct and you will be able to see the connection that goes into blower motor.

#11 ·
FWIW you can unplug the harness in your car and plug the harness into the replacement one to verify it works. Just be careful of touching the cooling fins on the replacement since they do get warm after a few minutes of operation. This way you won't waste time installing a bad resistor.

#12 ·
I hope that I am not the downer in this thread. I have the same issue on my 99 Trep. I replaced the resistor with a new one. It work great for a day and then went back to only working on high. So then I practice the definition of insanity and did the same thing expecting a different result. I put another one and well,,,,,, the definition held in that it also lasted only about a day. Something is causing the diode in the assembly to go out. I have not had time to trouble shoot any further. Hope you do not have this issue.

#13 ·
That generally means that the motor itself is pulling too much current and needs to be replaced. Replace the motor *and* the resistor pack (once more), and that should take care of it.

#19 ·
Wow I forgot all about this. My blower motor was making some noise so when I replaced the resistor pack, and had the blower out, I could see the fan was rubbing. I just gently pried up on the fan to slide it further away, and it was very quiet. I would probably assume the rubbing was a contribution to the resistor burning out.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.