DodgeIntrepid.Net Forums banner

Interior lights will not go off

9K views 8 replies 6 participants last post by  jwilde 
#1 ·
Today I got in the car and reversed it out of the garage. I got out and shut the garage door and when I got back in the car the interiors stayed on. I checked all the door switches. They seemed to depress in and out fine. I checked the interior dimmer wheel. Seemed to be working fine. I pulled the fuse and put it back in. Same deal. Im not an electrical genious at all. Im currently driving around with no radio and interior lights. If somebody can shed any light on the subject it would be appreciated. Thanks.

#2 ·
Did they stay on when you pulled the fuse?

If so, keep yanking fuses until they shut off. Might help locate the problem. They might be shorting with another 12v source.

Did you have anything electrical installed recently?

#4 ·
Ok. So something is telling them to stay on when they should be off. Could be the dimmer switch, or it could be one of the door switches.

#5 ·
I had the EXACT same problem, it sure sucked not having radio and lights (esspecialy since I just had a brand new sound system installed a month before). I pulled the fuse aswell, I was planning on having a mechanic look at her, but after 2 days the problem solved itself and hasn't sufaced since. Only difference is that in mine, the lights would usually go out, but I'd look out the window and the lights would be on, they friggin came on by themselves:eek: Kinda freaked me a bit. lol

#6 ·
On both my intrepids i had to replace the door switch. Little black button, one screw, one wire. It's a 5 dollar part. I found that when it was going, it would only happen in wet weather or humid weather, untill it was all the time.
Probably the driver one. Both of mine were driver door.

#7 ·
I've had that problem before. I've also had the problem where your lights won't come on with the driver door open. Yeah, that's just a normal thing that wears out. Go take one out of the rear doors of a junked trep. Front passenger, and both rear doors get much less wear than the driver door.

Edit:

Not all of that sunk in.... If it's like $5 from Chrysler then I would buy it there.

#9 ·
It was the door switch. Fixed. Thanks for the input guys.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.