DodgeIntrepid.Net Forums banner

Maybe getting second Trep

1K views 15 replies 5 participants last post by  celamantia 
#1 ·
My wife and I have been sharing my 99 Intrepid for a while, and we finally pulled together a little money for a car. Went to Craigslist and what's the first thing that pops up? An Intrepid at some small dealer in town. It's kismet.

I go to check it out... it's not really a dealer, it's a pawn shop with 4 or 5 vehicles being sold. Unfortunately they were closed, but so far it is looking promising: A black 2004 SXT with 126,000 miles on it. Exterior looks good except a small gap at the front bumper where it looked like it bumped something. Interior looks perfect through the windows. CARFAX has maintenance records as the prior owners look to have had everything done at the dealer, but no record of the timing belt/water pump being replaced. Listing says new brakes, new window regulators and new A/C compressor. They are asking $3000.

I'm thinking of jumping on it... I just wish I had an indication that the timing belt and water pump had been done because it'll be December before I can pony up for that, and I've never done a timing belt so I'm not sure I should take it on myself.

Does this sounds like a decent deal like it does to me or is there a red flag about 2004's or the 3.5HO engine I don't know about (all my experience is with the 3.2). My wife wants to offer him $2500 cash out the door, which seems insultingly low but I am an awful negotiator.

The light was too low to get pics but here's the one in the ad:

Chris

See less See more
#4 ·
These are the maintenance records I have for it:

09/23/2004 23,340 Sumter Chrysler Jeep Dodge
Oil and filter changed
Maintenance inspection completed

05/23/2006 63,819 Dodge Land of Columbia
Front brakes replaced
Tire condition and pressure checked
Front wiper blades/refills replaced
Front brake rotor(s) resurfaced
Four tires mounted and balanced
Washed/detailed

10/11/2006 70,614 Dodge Land of Columbia
Oil and filter changed

02/06/2007 76,881 Dodge Land of Columbia
Throttle/throttle body checked
Oil and filter changed
Four wheel alignment performed

04/25/2007 80,865 Dodge Land of Columbia
Cooling system checked
Oil and filter changed

10/03/2007 89,489 Dodge Land of Columbia
Oil and filter changed

07/17/2009 121,664 Dodge Land of Columbia

06/13/2011 126,086 Auto Auction
Southeast Region Sold at auction

Odd that it only accumulated 5000 miles between 2009 and 2011, and it only has a few more miles than that now. I got lucky with my other Trep, it had the records that the timing belt and water pump had been done.

#5 ·
More records on Dodge's site:

04-24-2009 Mike Addy Dodge
Date:04-24-2009
Odometer Reading:127530 (NOTE: This can't be right)
Service Description:Engine light

05-09-2009 Mike Addy Dodge
Date:05-09-2009
Odometer Reading:119423
Service Description:Miscellaneous (Well, that's useful.)

#6 ·
In the cold light of day it didn't look so awesome. Now that I could see the interior well, I could see the cigarette burns on the seat, damaged steering wheel rubber, mirror controls pushed into the door where they couldn't be reached, and the interior was an unattractive sandstone color which seemed out of place on a black car. The engine was throwing a P0300 Random Misfire code even though the Check Engine Light wasn't on, and the harness to the radiator fan assemble had been cut through, soldered, and the solder broken through, all without insulation. Tires had nails and screws in them and little tread. It drove well enough but my 3.2 felt more powerful and responsive than the 3.5HO in it.

The pawn shop guy had it there "for a friend" who apparently lost his little lot because he couldn't pay the bills and indicated he might take 2000 for it, but I passed on it. Too bad, it looks so great on the outside (except for a cracked headlight).

Parked right next to it was a 2002 LHS with 120,000 miles. If I don't find anything good elsewhere maybe I'll look at that.

#9 ·
Sorry, looking at my notes it was a '99 LHS, not a 2002. I didn't get details because it started to rain hard. I did see the leather driver's seat was cracked and torn. The sign on the window said $3000 but his Craigslist listing says $2500. It also had about 130,000 miles on it.

#11 ·
If we got the LHS, my wife would drive it, which means I'd have to get the interior in great shape. I can certainly replace a damaged seat; maybe I will go back and look at it in more detail later.

I am not a fan of the dark window tint... is that driver side dark tint even legal?

Chris

#12 ·
I am not a fan of the dark window tint... is that driver side dark tint even legal?

Chris
Depends on your state - the front doors and windshield I'm guessing are too dark though.

The rears shouldn't matter.

#13 ·
As much as I wanted to make a project out of that SXT, I just am not ready to take on a project car. So in the morning I pick up a 1999 Chrysler Sebring JXi.

On the plus side, I am staying in the Chrysler family, and I FINALLY GET MY INTREPID BACK! :auto_07: (My wife has been driving it.)

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.