DodgeIntrepid.Net Forums banner

How do I test a coil pack?

13K views 6 replies 3 participants last post by  pensi_cola 
#1 ·
After much aggravation and money it has been determined that I have a bad coil pack on cylinder 2. Actually I have been through several packs on cylinder 2 in the past year. It was finally found to be the fault of a short in the computer that was frying the packs. The problem now is I have six coil packs, all from the previous engine (a 2.7L). Some may still be good while 3 are probably ruined from the computer.

My question is how can I tell if a pack is good? I did a search and could not find a thread addressing this. If I missed it somehow could someone post a link to it?

The car is a 98 2.7L.

The computer is being replaced/rebuilt so hopefully the problem will not return.

#2 ·
You might be able to check the resistance accross the two pins, if you have a voltmeter/multimeter. If the coil is bad, there won't be any continuity.

Or you could just pull a coil and plug from your car, and put the plug on the coil you are testing, hold the plug threads against engine metal, and plug the coil in. You might also want to pull the fuel pump relay, since the car will run on 5 cyls. Have someone crank the starter, while you watch for spark.

#3 · (Edited)
Thanks Hypnos. I was going to use my multimeter but didn't know if there was a specific range into which the resistance should fall. I will check them tomorrow. Or I may just box all of them up and send them to the mechanic and let him deal with it.

I really like the Intrepid but I have spent almost $3500 in repairs on a car I only paid $6K for two years ago. Ironically, I purchased the car because I was getting worried about my truck falling apart (94 S-10 4.3L with 140K). It has been fine and has gotten me around all the times my Intrepid has been in the shop.

#4 ·
Once you start mesuring a few, you should be able to tell whats normal. There might be one thats obsenely higher, or almost at zero. Some might not even have continuity.

You can mesure the resistance on one thats on the car though.

#5 ·
I tested one (dont ask why I have it), and it comes up as under 1 ohm on my analog multimeter. So expect some low numbers.

#6 ·
The car is about 350 miles away. I need to find someone closer that I trust but the mechanic I use has known me for years and works at the garage my dad used to own. Plus the labor is free. Well almost free. I usually wind up leaving a gift of some sort to reduce my guilt.

I will go through the six packs I have at my house. Three have been on cylinder 2 and three have not. I should be able to notice a difference between them with the multimeter. Unfortunately I have been keeping them all in the same place and don't know which are which.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.