DodgeIntrepid.Net Forums banner

New System

746 views 4 replies 4 participants last post by  CaptainMorgan 
#1 ·
I am looking at upgrading my system. I have the original Infinity system with the stock head unit, am/fm, single cd player and tape player. I am looking at the Alpine headunit #cda-9831, JLAudio speakers for the rear (TR690-TXi) and the doors (TR650-CSi). They suggested I add a subwoofers (JLAudio-12 inch) and JLAudio amp (e6450) rated at 12.5V. I can add them in intervals; head unit and speakers one time, then the amp and subwoofers in step 2 if I want. I don't want/need head banging bass out of my system so will the amp and subs really be worthwhile? He quoted me about $1500.00 installed, which I can afford, but is it necessary? Thanks for any advice.

#2 · (Edited)
No, decent 6.5" or 6x9" can give plenty of bass for most people. I suggest not going JL Audio for anything. They're good all around, but better can be found all around.

Focal for your speakers. They're better and cheaper. Alpine, however, is a fine deck. I would recommend Nakamichi or Eclipse above Alpine, but unless you go Ebay, those will cost much more for being marginally better.

If you're really set on JL Audio speakers, it won't sound bad, but you will pay a lot more than you need to.

#3 · (Edited)
It really depends on your listening tastes. I would go with the headunit, front and rear speaker upgrades and see if you like it. If not, then consider adding a sub. No 6.5" or 6x9" will give you the low end fill that a good sub will, but a lot of people are happy without it too.

Also, avoid Nak headunits like the plague. There's been nothing but trouble with them since they screwed around with their North American business. Lots of quality issues and customer service is awful. Most likely you'll get everything you want out of the Alpine...

#4 ·
I am not set on anything. I am a sellers dream, I walked in and said "what would you do with a 99 Trep"? So I am sure he was drooling. I want a good head with good speakers, but I don't want to spend $1500.00. Thanks for sharing your knowledge.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.