DodgeIntrepid.Net Forums banner

Mysterious Clunk and hard shift

3K views 13 replies 7 participants last post by  UmmScott 
#1 ·
Hey guys, been a while since I've been on here. Trep's been running great so far, just got 2 issues and I'd like some advice. FYI, its a 98 ES 3.2L with 140k

#1: When I go over bumps there's a heavy clunking noise that sounds like its coming from the center/front of the car. I've determined that its not the suspension that's making the noise but it happens when the suspension "travels" if that makes sense. Suspension is completely overhauled in the front. new bushings, control arms, struts and strut mounts, and wheel bearings. All the steering bushings are new as well. Noise is mainly below 45 mph. above that it pretty much goes away. trans/motor mounts maybe??

#2 Whenever the car downshifts, primarily 3rd to 2nd, when it goes back up to 3rd it really SLAMS into 3rd sometimes even into 4th as well. It only does it when it downshifts first. starting from a stop going from 1st...to 2nd...to 3rd..to 4th is perfect, its only when it downshifts and then upshifts again. Is this cause for concern? Fluid is Bright red and no particles in it.
Better to have it shift hard into gear than slip right?
Thanks for any input

#4 ·
Might also want to check the four cradle-to-frame bushings. I had one loose and would get a nagging clunk, particularly on washboard type bumps. Also, I had excessive tire tread-wear on that side. Attributed it to the fact that the control arm is anchored to the cradle, and if the cradle is shifting, it can't be too good for keeping that tire properly aligned.....

#5 ·
Yes, I will check that out. Sway bar links are new as well, I'll have to check the bar bushings tho.
Also, I do need to get it aligned. Honestly the car just doesn't turn right...when i turn the wheel its almost as if I'm leaning the car rather than turning.

Honestly I've owned the car for about 2 years and when I got it the fluid was bright red to begin with so it seemed fine, I still should probably get it changed tho as an insurance measure

#11 ·
Or you could just crawl under the car and have a good look at the transmission mount. A good flashlight is a must. The transmission mount replacement is a little tedious, but it's not difficult.

#12 ·
update...

So i had a friend sit in the car and brake-torque it in reverse and in drive.
In drive the engine was fairly still, but in reverse the engine completely nose dived. Like the front of the engine went down and the rear popped up Id say a good 4 or 5 inches.
Is that normal or could the rear trans mount cause this?

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.