DodgeIntrepid.Net Forums banner

2000 Dodge Neon won't start

4K views 3 replies 4 participants last post by  furyman67 
#1 ·
I have replaced the starter, battery, starter relay, ignition switch, checked all reading with a multimeter, almost everything reads fine..
but now here is what's happening..

I turn the key.. the line going from the starter relay to the starter solenoid gets no juice..
but when i manually engage the starter relay (take of the cap and tap the relay in with a plastic pin.. the voltage gets to the starter solenoid and the car starts and stays on with the key in the ignition..

I've replaced the starter relay 4 times, tried those relays in different spots, and i know they work.. but something between the ignition switch and the starter relay just isn't connecting right..

the car has a factory installed alarm that doesn't work anymore.. i was thinking it might have something to do with the computer for the alarm maybe..

any help is greatly appreciated..
runs just fine, just gotta pop up the hood and manually engage the relay to start it..

See less See more
#2 ·
Have you tested the ignition switch?

Is there a park/neutral safety switch cutting out the ignition circuit, from a bad switch, shifter cable worn, or out of adjustment (if auto, try starting in park and neutral), or a bad clutch pedal safety switch if manual trans?

IF it is a factory alarm, I wouldnt think it would just cut the starter. Normally a factory system would let the car start, and shut it right off. IF it was an aftermarket alarm, I would suspect it, and remove it.

#4 ·
For the alarm not working replace the door ajar switches, if you find one that is smashed all the way in, that is the bad one. Have you tried replacing the cam/crank sensors. Does your Neon have a gray topped key(that would be a skim key) if you do, you will need to actually need to take it to the dealer, have the PCM powered down and the Skim key reprogramed.
I have seen people have a black topped key made to open the car door and then try to start the car and after 3 tries the PCM gets locked out.
Check the color of the key, most Neons I have seen that had the factory alarm also had the Skim key.

Tom

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.