DodgeIntrepid.Net Forums banner

2002 Special PCM vs. 2004 Special PCM

Tags
coolant
33K views 154 replies 41 participants last post by  peva 
#1 ·
Not even a fight!!
WTF was Chrysler thinking??
I had this discussion with Ross over dinner Saturday night, and I am still baffled!! The 02 calibration is what the Special should have had all 3 model years. I simply do not understand the lack of thought that Chrysler had/has on some of these items. This is a more sport oriented version of an already sporty sedan. Why in the hell can't they make the damn thing right??

The 04 calibration compared to the 02 calibration is like putting in an aftermarket PCM. The shifts snap your head, they are that quick, and firm. The car feels more aggressive, I can only suspect the timing/fueling curve is more aggressive than on the 04. My car has been significantly improved with this particular modification.

If you have an 03 or 04 Special (or other LH 3.5) and you want an upgrade, this is a way to get (in my estimation) is the most aggressive OEM PCM you can get your hands on. I can't imagine the Police Package being that different than this.

My thanks to Ross for coming down and doing the swap for me. Also for keeping me in stitches during dinner with his stories about other buffet goers around the country he has seen!!

See less See more
#2 ·
If you have an 03 or 04 Special (or other LH 3.5) and you want an upgrade, this is a way to get (in my estimation) is the most aggressive OEM PCM you can get your hands on. I can't imagine the Police Package being that different than this.
My dad would agree.......went for a ride today and he was commenting on how hard some of the shifts were :biggrin::smilie_sc

#8 ·
The PIN is the security code that allow you to program the PCM for the SKIM (probably oversimplfying, but that is the crux of it) The magician would be TorontoFireCaptain. He can make it happen!!

#14 ·
Any drop in ecomony would be foot-related for the most part; it is most likely, depending on whether your engine is an HO or not, you may get a slight increase when highway driving.
In Tom's case, there'd be no "stock" overall drop under normal conditions.
Let me just add to Tom's notes that the 2002 is much better than the 03 & 04 Special PCMs.
What he says is true. However, the 03 & 04 Special PCM is an excellent up-grade for any one that has a 2002+ non HO engine, or the Magnum engines.
The will still give the timing and fuel parameters of the 255 HP Special engines, and while I can't give a definitive HP increase, there definitely is, as evidenced by both Avenger & Cokey.
Anyone that is interested in one, I have several 2003 & 4 in stock.
You can get any dealer to reset it to your particular car, by simply asking them to.
If they do not know how or say it can't be done, I will include those instructions with the unit.
Should only cost you 1/4 to 1/2 hour of service time, since it takes only 5 mins to do.
For the the above applications, this is one of the "biggest bangs" for the $, and it leaves the car completely "stock" and will not affect any emissions related testing.

#26 ·
Tom...remember when I told u that I always feel a "thrust forward" everytime I shift at WOT....???....NOW u know WHY!!! Love my 02' Special!!! I have had this car peel out at 55mph when it upshifted at WOT! I had a trans line leak and the dealer replaced all the hoses and shortly after it went into "limp mode" (didnt know why at the time...this was before I joined the 300M Club) and I thought the issue was related (I now know why the vehicle goes into "limp mode"....output sensor) anyways the dealer replaced the PCM....needless to say that didn't work....so they finally found the problem....the sensor! So they replaced that too and just left the PCM in there for me. Boy talk about being lucky....a brand new PCM at 70k on the tranny!

#39 ·
Perhaps this wll stop some of the mis-information and such that has been posted of late (mostly "over-there", not here) about the speed limits on the various controllers.
You will note that the 2000 R/T is the ONLY one domestically with no limit.

300M Special, 143 MPH…………………………….5102189AB & 4896554AE

Based on what I'm seeing with my Alex Peper OBDII tool:

I have the next to most recent revision of the above PCM
I can live with 143 MPH!!

Thank you Ross....

#40 ·
My car is currently undergoing the transformation at Ross's place. I just drove it to the hotel with the PCM from an 04 Special currently installed. It shifts harder than the standard Intrepid PCM and shifts at a different RPM range also. A noticable difference. I will be back there in morning to try and get everything else competed tomorrow. We are installing tons of stuff!! The Auto-Stick works great!

#45 ·
The 02's are becoming harder to find - older cars get crashed, most of them are front collisions, so the PCM is destroyed. Those that aren't, are either picked up by someone (like me) or by the aftermarket "rebuilders".
There were only so many originaly made, so there are less and less available.

#47 ·
Well, one thing is certain from PBD's timing belt fiasco, we know the engine can run on 12 degrees advanced timing...................just need to figue out what it's optimum would be.
Unfortunately, unlike the old distributers, it would require constant reflashing instead of just turning.......................
I have a 2.7 controller for experimenting with, if I ever get any free time.......

#49 ·
I'm confused abit. I read that the "02" R/T PCM doesn't have a limiter and has smooth shifts. I'm reading the Special PCMs have a limiter but you get 10 more horses than the R/T and hard shifts. Wouldn't the R/T be a better pick? Can you reflash the PCM to add 10 hp?

#51 ·
The only R/T that is unlimited is the 2000. All the rest are limited. I posted a thread with all of the controller numbers and the parameters.
The R/T has a different fuel management & timing program.
It is theoretically possible to reprogram the 2002 to the Special one, however, I'm not sure if the earlier ones would be able to accept that. Need time to fool with the flash programming.

#50 ·
Now that I have had a chance to drive a 1000 miles, I think the 04 Special PCM is just fine. Yes, it does have a limiter, 143 I think is what Ross said, but thats fine with me. The shifts are firmer than the stock unit and it locks up nice which might even result in a little better gas mileage as long as I keep my foot out of it!

#52 ·
I picked up my "new" 02 Intrepid R/T today from the dealer here in Leamington. I had asked him to find out what the PIN was for the PCM and give it to me when I picked the car up. Guess what? "We can't give you that, it's against the Privacy Act!" ??????????? Isn't it my car? Didn't I just hand you a big fat bank draft? It's out of warranty so what is the problem??? "Nope, can't have it. That's property of Chrysler." Do you believe that crap??? So if you go to the scrap yard and get a used PCM and the VIN off of the wreck, that PIN is Chrysler's property? Isn't that like buying a house and you get everything but the key to the lock on the shed? Is that the bank's property?

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.