DodgeIntrepid.Net Forums banner

Beeble's 1987 Dodge Daytona Shelby Z

70K views 303 replies 43 participants last post by  beeblebrox82 
#1 · (Edited)
Well I've been looking into a project car for a little bit now, and my wife and I settled on something out of the 80s turbo mopar collection. We both grew up on these little cars (I had a Reliant, she had an Omni) so getting one of these wa slike coming back to our roots. No sooner than I had started doing the research a member on the turbododge forum pointed out this shelby.

Had to get it.

Went down to Indy this weekend and picked it up!

1987 Dodge Daytona Shelby Z
174 HP Turbo II 2.2L
Getrag 5 speed transmission
Sun and shade package
Enthusiast seats

Look how long it is compared to the trep!! I was surprised!

Tonneau cover!

Enthusiast seats are in great shape, few very small cigarette burns. Recline mechanism is broke on both.

The paint is really really rough, but it's pretty mechanically sound. Good shocks and struts, not major body damage and very little under body rust. The rockers are solid and the only areas are concern is the drivers side floor board (easy fix) and the spare tire well (got a bead on a donor car.)

rest of the underbody looks like this. Wonderbar!

Previous owner said that on start up the car is not getting oil pressure. I suspect oil pump or pick up. Engine has the 2.4 lifters installed and was supposedly rebuild by the previous previous owner... who I don't trust at all based on the awful wiring hack and slash in the engine bay.

WTF?!? Inexcusable

somethings missing...

First yard run was highly succesful Got about 75% of what i was after, including a complete sunroof and two gorgeous recline mechanisms from a labaron coupe.

Oh - and I have louvers if I want. Totally on the fence on them... I really don't like it, but everyone else does.

First steps:
Find oil pressure problem
Completely redo vac system
Return engine wiring to factory spec.
replace seat recliners.

Should be able to driver her then. This winter I'lll continue to clean up the engine and interior, and fix the rust issues. then next summer she'll go to paint! There's an amazing amount of room in these little cars. I can stretch out completely inside. Should be an awesome little car!!! :highfive:

Notes to myself:
Fusable link to fuseblock mod.

See less See more
#5 ·
Louvers FTW!!! They scream late 80's, man... gotta keep 'em.

Can't wait to see how this rascal progresses! I'm especially interested in the recliner pivot replacement thingies. I noticed the massive twist/lean in the driver's seat - figured the whole seat would need replaced. I assume the recliner thingies will fix that up?

#11 ·
thanks everyone. She's gonna be a handful. I like the idea of having a semi rare car... there were only 15K of these Shelby Z's made in 87-88 only. to put a reference purpose. There were twice as many intrepid's made in just the ES trim line in Just 2002.

That's the problem with the louvers... they scream 80s... I love that it's an 80s car... but I don;'t necessarily need to broadcast it to the world. As for the seat. It is actually loose on the inside, needs to get tightened back down to the floor.... It only seems to be leaning when it's all the way back, so I'm thinking the hinges will correct. I can always go back and get the other hinge too.

somethings missing???,, looks like the ASDL, (assambly line diagnostic link)
There's two cut wires there too. That would be nice if that connector was serving it's intended purpose.

#12 ·
beautiful, I can't wait to see what you do with her Nate. Drop me a pm here if you need any help, I'm not too far away.

#13 ·
Nice car i had a Red Shelby Z for a few years. Also it had a 2.2 Turbo Motor not a 2.4 one. Get some of the super 60 parts. A Mopar PCM does wonders for the Bost. Like 12 to 18 ponds or so. Mine ran a best of 13.8 in the 1/4 mile.

#16 ·
The Daytona Shelby Z's were considered to be 'inspired" by Shelby. The motor from the 86 Shelby charger was the basis for the TII in this car, but it is not a "true" Shelby as it did not go to the Shelby plant after production as the numbered cars did.

Sun and shade means it has the removable pop up sun roof and the rear window visors. The rear visors are especially rare... although we me in the car the back seats are more like a shelf, so the visors probably aren't going to see much use LOL.

#17 ·
Wow, nice little car there. Never was a fan of that motor, but all the ones I ever ran across were ready to be put out to pasture - but I hear great things about them now that I'm amongst those that give them a little TLC. It is a great looking project though, I'll be keeping an eye on your progress here.

#21 · (Edited)
Well business has been slow, mostly because I spent all of my disposable cash on the car, but I have picked up a few more odds and ends just hunting through the yards.

A new front fascia: Really nice condition, Not horribly painted over 4 times like the once currently on the car.

Same car had near MINT condition window tracks and drivers side door seal. Also got a new cup holder, and some daytona door handle bezels ($3!!) as well as a crap load of other bezels, just for the heck of it.

And the highlight of my day look what came in the mail today!!

:drool:

Last thing I need to buy is a couple torque wrenches, unbelievably, I've never got around to buying them. But before i drop the pan I need to invest. :baller: Might be another few weeks still before I really get to dig in. :sneaky2:

#23 ·
score! The year depends quite a bit. 87-88 everything swaps for the most part

If it has the black bezels that go around the door handles I'll take those for sure. Grey interor, if the center arm rest is in really good shape I'd love that.... If it happens to be a 87 Turbo I'd take the whole engine harness if they'll sell it (I know that's asking a lot!) Umm. If it has a "navigator" in the center stack (would be above the turbo boost gauge and message center, if it's not there it's just a pocket) Might be interested in the instrument cluster too.

#32 ·
It's got the off center turbo bulge in the hood, so most stripes aren't going to wok. My wife suggested a deep forest green, with white pinstriping/decals. That could look really good. I'd just like to paint it red again lol.

Well I am sorry Nate but it seems that the Daytona at the yard has gone to the big road in the sky. I looked all over the yard 3 times and couldn't find it anywhere. it looks like they just purged a bunch of cars since I was there last and i think that was one of them.

Thanks for looking. I found some good stuff on my own trip today :thumbsup:

#31 ·
Well I am sorry Nate but it seems that the Daytona at the yard has gone to the big road in the sky. I looked all over the yard 3 times and couldn't find it anywhere. it looks like they just purged a bunch of cars since I was there last and i think that was one of them.

#33 ·
So it turns out (thank you mopar engineers!!) That the spare tire well of a 1993 Shadow is exactly the same as my Daytona's. They crushed the Shelby Z I was going to cut up, but this one is even better!!! Had to lift the back of the car with an engine hoist and reset it on the frame rails, as they had it proped up on a wheel right on the whell. Once that was done it was quick work with the saws all!

Little dented from the car sitting on it, nothing that can't be pounded out.

Some surface rust down in the bottom, but it's solid!!!

Also scored the spare tire cover board and I picked up the instrument cluster, if only just to have to play with later.

Super excited to get that tire well found!!

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.