DodgeIntrepid.Net Forums banner

MAP Sensor and performance?

3K views 1 reply 2 participants last post by  Mr_Spork 
#1 ·
Hey guys,

I am having a issue that kind of bothers me and was wondering if anybody had an idea on it. As the title states it has to do with the MAP sensor and I hooked up a MODIS scanner to do a check up on my '96 Intrepid and it came back with a "No 5V reference to MAP sensor". I asked one of the guys who helps around my school's shop and he said that if it doesn't work it makes it run like crap which i believe i am noticing when i drive. When i am driving and i open up the throttle a little there is quite of bit of time before it will kick in and it will jump up in RPM's which almost feels like its going into overdrive even if cruising down a flat road. there is quite a bit of lag time before it will do that also. When we checked to see if the sensor was receiving the 5V reference and it came back on a multimeter at 4.98V which sounds about right to me. So to sum it up I am kind of lost on what to do to fix this issue. If anyone can explain some stuff to me or clear up the situation or even offer a fix that would make me quite a happy man!

#2 ·
Well, if the onboard diagnostics is giving you a code indicating no +5v to the MAP sensor, then there's a problem there. And yeah, I'd say it would at least partially account for the poor performance. I can't lend much advice on fixing this issue, I haven't had it. Just basic stuff, check the input of the sensor with your DVM while moving your wiring harnesses around, the PCM plug, etc. It sounds like you have an intermittent issue with a connector, splice, or just a wire in the harness. If you don't already have one and a factory service manual is a very handy thing. You CAN find wiring diagrams and connector pinouts online but I'd be careful as I have encountered incorrect diagrams (I've also found incorrect pinouts in Haynes manuals, but that's a long story pertaining to my wife's Grand Caravan and the PCM connector).

One bit of advice I CAN reliably share about the MAP sensor though is, if it is the sensor and you have to remove it, be careful. I took mine out and it broke off in the intake plenum. It's a plastic sensor and the part that threads into the intake plenum is plastic too, with a metal sleeve running down the center. I had to buy TWO bolt extractors (the first one would have been a good enough fit had the metal sleelve been more solidly attached to the plastic, but as it was it turned and came out, and then the first extractor I tried wouldn't bite the plastic remaining to get it to budge).

You *might* try some penetrating lubricant on the sensor if you end up having to replace it, I didn't, so I have no idea how much help that would be. There's really nothing to do though if it is going to break and it needs to be replaced, you'll just have to work out the broken piece like I did. Being on the back of the intake plenum under the wiper cowl, it might end up being easier, again, if it has to be replaced, to take the whole plenum off to get at the sensor and/or the broken stub.

Hope this helps.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.