DodgeIntrepid.Net Forums banner

Concorde FWD to RWD Swap using '07 LX Drivetrain.

29K views 107 replies 21 participants last post by  zerokool 
#1 ·
One of my friends that does Hemi conversions upgrades for the LX cars has a few drivetrains from some V6 Charger's, 300's et al .
Our cars use the A606 42LE transaxle. The LX platforms uses the same internal components and designates the trans as A606 42RLE.
He sold me a complete RWD conversion for $400.
The donor car had 77k miles.
Trans, drive shafts, rear cradle, differential, axles, sway bar, etc.
And to top it off, he gave me a drive train harness to convert the old connectors to the new style input/output sensors and whatever else.
I've been looking into this kind of swap for a while. Investigating major and minor differences in the drive trains.
So, now I'm taking the leap of faith (in myself) and going to do it.

THE PROJECT BEGINS!!

#2 ·
Good luck! This has been speculated about a lot over the years but nobody ever went for it. There have been RWD cars made, but not by adapting the 42RLE.

It'll bolt right up, but you'll need to make quite a few other modifications.

You probably will have to get a custom drive shaft made. The length to the rear won't match up on the LH platform. This really isn't that hard to do though. I've seen other custom builds that just had one made for them.

You should make sure to completely document that harness. That would be a great resource for anyone looking to follow in your footsteps.

#5 ·
I understand there will be a few adaptations necessary.
Relocating the fuel cell to the spare tire compartment.
Engineering and fabricating bridge gussets for the rear cradle.
Fabricating rear spring cups.
Drive shaft center bearing support.
Conversion of rear strut to shock mount.
Just to name a few.

But before I begin to tackle the rear end stuff, I'm going to swap the transmissions.
I believe that is where my headache is going to be. I need to know that the TCM will talk politely with the new transmission without spewing it's guts.
If all goes well there, then I'll move to the rear end.

#6 ·
you will have to use the ECM from the doner car,, being the new trans is a 5 speed,, as to where the orginal is a 4 speed, also you will need it for the reason your new engine will have drive by wire, as to where the orginal was cable driven, id suggest using the full harness out of a doner car, with the ecm,,, gonna be a interesting build

#11 · (Edited)
Except for the solenoid pack, I think all the sensors are the same plug type. 42RLE has a solenoid that uses a different type of connector but, I believe the same 8 wires are concerned. Should be a snap to do the swap in the tranny dept.

Also, if the new trans has one of those extra connectors next to the range plug, I'm pretty sure the trans will operate normally w/o it plugged in. I can't remember the number of connectors but I think it's two or three.

#12 ·
I am pulling the old transaxle today and tomorrow. I ran into a snag. I was able to get the driver side half shaft out but I'm having a heck of a time getting the passenger side out.
The drivers side was kind of a bear but it snapped out past the "O" ring and circlip.
Any tricks would be appreciated.

#15 ·
OK, I'll take to pics of the set-up tomorrow.

Is that a hammer chisel or hammer and chisel? I have both.
Either way, it's on the passenger side. The ring and pinion side.
The cup is almost directly over the sub-frame and there's no room underneath the car to get hold of the cup with a pry bar let alone a hammer chisel. Or am I missing something?

#17 ·
If you don't care about reusing the axles, remove the rest of the axle from the "cup" and just remove the tranny like that. I use a large pry bay to get the axles out. I use the subframe as leverage with a large hook-type bar. And yes, the passenger side is the worst one.

#18 ·
42LE to 42RLE Swap LH platform FWD to RWD Transformation

Thanks, I'll try that.

Now for some pics.

The starter from the 42LE fits the 42RLE perfectly.

The connectors of the input and output sensor will need to be changed out on the harness. And possibly the range connector. I won't know until I get the trans-axle out to be sure.

The exterior solenoid connection. Hope it's the same. If not, I can change it out also.

Now for the rear differential. Yeah, it looks a bit dirty right now. But gimme some time.

#28 · (Edited)
There are shift kits for the 42LE... I recently obtained a police engine and transmission. When ripping everything down to do a simple clean-up rebuild, it came to my attention it had a shift kit and heavy duty clutch pack already - according to the parts numbers I referenced and different odd-ball parts etc. Local Dodge Dealer said many ordered police package vehicles had these goodies added. They claimed they've done four or five.

Looked for the kits online for kicks and giggles. One I seen only came with different seals, maybe a few springs.

*Edit - http://www.ebay.ca/itm/A604-604-41T...-dodge-chrysler-plymoth-caravan-/290874661937

That's one I've seen, more or less the odds and ends I ended up finding. There is also a company somewhere in the US that offered modified valve bodies, upgraded solenoid packs, kevlar clutch packs, and if you really got some money, completely rebuild and fully upgraded performance transmissions, painted black with blue pin-stripes. Think the prices were $2,000... Worth it if you were serious, and wanted to strap a AEM piggy back system and turbo the son of a whore.

Here is that link http://www.importperformancetrans.com/chryslerautofwd.shtml

#24 ·
The mount on the LX rear cradle are 42" apart.
The mounts on the LH are 37-1/4" apart.
Yeah, it sucks to be me. But like I said, I need to fab some bridge gussets for the rear cradle.
Right now my main concern is the trans communicating correctly with the TCM/PCM.

#29 ·
The Mercedes Nag1 5spd trans was available only in AWD V6 and V8 and RWD V8 LX's. Some years it was an option for the NAG1 5spd and V6.
Otherwise, all years with the V6 had the 42RLE 4 spd.

#31 ·
I haven't seen the difference in size of the drive tunnels between my Special and my R/T, but I do know that the R/T has a wider and deeper tunnel, with the exhaust running below the driveshaft. Whenever I've had it in the air I saw the X-pipe was in the same place as our upstream resonator and could not see the driveshaft except for where it connected to the pumpkin. Of course, I wasn't specifically looking for it either... I just knew it was there for all the tail-wagging that car likes to do lol.

#32 ·
This is the exhaust from a 2010 V6 Charger. The "Y" pipe might be usable.
I'll have to take exact measurements after the LH cats are re-installed to see if the muffler falls in the location that the fuel tank used to be.
I'm pretty sure it will because the hangers aft of the muffler are connected to the front of the rear cradle. Does that make sense at all?
And yeah, I know it's on the passenger side vs the drivers side like the LH cars.

#33 ·
ok,, so now if im reading this right,, you are keeping the orginal engine? correct? if its a 3.5, id get a set of later exhaust manifolds and go with the 2010 Y pipe,, being your getting rid of the FWD, it just may have room for a direct bolt on,, just a thought

#36 ·
Very good point. I think I recall the main issue with LX manifolds being the passenger collector dumps into the differential. Kinda hard for that to happen if you're moving the diff to the rear of the car. ;)

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.