DodgeIntrepid.Net Forums banner

Is "Lucas Transmission Fix" safe?

11K views 35 replies 11 participants last post by  johnda 
#1 ·
Hi all,

I have asked this question several times in another thread but could never get a direct answer -- only things like "...I don't think it will help you..."

So here is the question, irrespective of anything else:
Is "Lucas transmission Fix" safe to use in a 42LE (A606) Tranny (1994 Chrysler Vision/Concorde) added to the Mopar ATF+4?

In other words can it do any harm?

Many thanks in advance

John

#2 ·
ok, the main question is,, , is the trans giving problems? if so, I personally dont like the lucas stuff, now, in my concorde Iused seafoam trans treatment,, hey the stuff worked for a while.

#3 ·
Just use it. You asked questions and was given several answers but not the one you wanted to hear.. Use whatever you want. It may work. It may not. I've heard their are miracles and unicorns inside of them that magically fix things with pixie dust.

A transmission taken care of does not ever need it.

#4 · (Edited)
Just use it. You asked questions and was given several answers but not the one you wanted to hear.. Use whatever you want. It may work. It may not. I've heard their are miracles and unicorns inside of them that magically fix things with pixie dust.
A transmission taken care of does not ever need it.
Here we go again! I was not told whether it was safe or not, and once again, you have dodged the question. "Use whatever you want. It may work. It may not", isn't very helpful, is it? "Whatever I want" is not "Lucas Transmission Fix" and "It may work. It may not" I agree with you, but it doesn't answer the question "is it safe?".

Thanks anyway for your time!

#9 ·
All it does is increase the viscosity of the tranny fluid.

I'm not going to sit here and convince you it's " safe ".

Lucas makes their own claims and I'm sure would come back with
something like " Its helped many a high mileage tranny BUT results will vary "

In real words , if the tranny is broke , then no mechanic in a can will work.

Have I run it , sure , in some old beater with 200,000 plus and nothing to loose.

Some used car lots even add 40wt. motor oil / brake fluid / ect. ,,,, to each their own.

#13 ·
If the "seals" are really leaking then wouldn't the dealer or a qualified transmission shop be able to "Pressure test" the transmission with the proper tools/adapters? And don't forget the the transmission in the 1993-1997 LH cars is just about the same as the 1998-2004 LH cars. So if your dealer can work on a 2nd gen LH transmission they should have no problem with the 1st gen transmissions.

#17 ·
Thanks guys for the replies.

So far, nobody has said that they know of any damage actually caused by the use of "Lucas Transmission Fix". If anybody knows of such a case, please let me know, and indeed if anybody has used it please let me know the result, good or bad.

That is the object of this thread and hopefully, it should also help any other (potential) users of this product.

#20 ·
Something you should consider is the majority silence about using the Lucas crap?

Why do you think everyone is pretty much silent about your question asking whether it's "Safe" to use in an LH transmission?

Do you really need opinions to use it? Why not just dump a can or two in it and see what happens?

#21 ·
Something you should consider is the majority silence about using the Lucas crap?

Why do you think everyone is pretty much silent about your question asking whether it's "Safe" to use in an LH transmission?
I think that they do not know. I am looking for people who do know, from experience!

Do you really need opinions to use it?
Of course I do! Would you take a medication if there were no trials proving it was safe to take?

Why not just dump a can or two in it and see what happens?
See above. I am looking for people who have done this (one bottle, not two) and can report on the result.

If I do it, I will certainly not refuse to let other people benefit from my experience, good or bad!

#24 ·
Overall , Lucas makes very respectable products.
Is any additive or no additive going to help your tranny ?? It's a total crap shoot.

As many have commented , even with good fresh fluid , the tranny crapped out
with zero notice, thats the life of an automatic.

If you want to add something to " feel like " your helping preserve the transmission ,
then one bottle isn't going to kill it.

The bottom line here is if you ask a dozen different transmission shops or techs,
your going to get 12 different answers.

Just make your own decision and don't turn back. :) :)

#26 ·
I have used some in my transmission when:

A) Started an odd hard shift, which turned out to be an input sensor,

B) Had a strange leak that was later found to be a bolt wasn't 100% tight on the pan.

I had purchased it for point B. Was very small puddles so I figured 'thickening' the fluid may help til I could look into it further, and still had some when the shift started to happen and it promotes 'smooth shifting' on the bottle.

Moral of the story, even when adding it you still need to diagnose the real issue and get it fixed. I still have over half the bottle left.

#27 ·
Yes, I get your point. In fact I have have tried two things today and still have not used the additive pending user reports from you guys.

So, in your case, quite apart from the real causes of your problems, did the Lucas stuff have any effect, harmful or otherwise, and how long was it in the tranny?

#34 ·
Update

Well, it is now in my tranny and everything seems to be fine. The already good shifts when hot are even better and changing the shift lever from, say, park to drive or park to reverse is instant and with no "clonk".

But the acid test will be tomorrow morning when it is cold. Will it now shift when cold or will it go into limp mode like it did before?

Update tomorrow!

#36 ·
After a few months, Lucas Transmission Fix has cured all my tranny problems!

I'm back after several months to say that it took a long time to work but finally my tranny is working better than it has for the last 7 years!

Lucas Transmission Fix did the trick. It costs practically nothing and takes a few minutes of your time. I am now a great fan!

If anyone has tranny problems, try it! If anyone wants any details, let me know

Cheers

John

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.