DodgeIntrepid.Net Forums banner

Idle Air Control Valve (cleaning)

23K views 17 replies 10 participants last post by  Voncorul 
#1 ·
hello guys i need to know where is the idle air control on a dodge intrepid 2000 engine 2.7 n how to take it off ??

what kind of screw driver do i need?? model??

the problem the idle is too low thats why i want to clean..

thanx

#2 ·
Hey bud,

Well, here is a picture of the IAC Valve on my 04 2.7, Same place. Its a T-20Tq screw, and its located underneath the IAC Valve. Just unscrew it and remove the screw by hand after. Dont drop it, can be hard to retrieve. Then just pull the IAC Valve out. Takes some wiggling.

Then just spray carb cleaner all over the inside, and use a toothbrush. Any questions, just post here.

Attachments

#4 ·
hey thanx for the info guys ....

other issue i have is long crank start only when engine is cold... but if i turn the the key 3 times to the on position n then crank it it will start right away. could this be the fuel pump failing ???? i just dont want to spend money on parts if the car dont need it ..

#6 · (Edited)
That is almost always one of 2 things:
(1) A leaky injector emptying the fuel rail and putting raw gas into one cylinder, leaving others without fuel unless you cycle the key like you did to run the pump seceral times to refill and pressurize the rail.
(2) A bad check valve or pressure regulator (built into the pump module) that is emptying out the rail with fuel running back into the tank when it sits for a few hours.

If a leaky injector, you get rough running (due to one cylinder flooded, the other 5 running lean and getting air bubbles from the rail) for a few seconds at startup, but probably will smell raw gas out the exhaust from the one cylinder that is flooded with raw gas. If it is the check valve or pressure regulator, you will get the rough running (from all 6 cylinders running lean and getting air bubbles from the rail) for a few seconds at startup, but no raw gas smell.

#7 · (Edited)
ok soo the best thing to do is take to the big computer to see what is going >>>???? or theres a way to find out ???..

other symtoms are rough running ..

sometimes the car feels to loss power. ... hard acceleration ..

every time i stop in a red light the headlights get dim

_________________UPDATED_______________________

today when iwas ready to come home , i start the engine n the car was shaking , fuel level was close to the empty dot .. are this symptoms of failing pump...

i dont have money to fix am working only 4 hours a day .... anybody from south texas ?????

#18 · (Edited)
That's exactly why if suddenly something is wrong with the car or some code pops up, then I immediately stop and figure out what is wrong. Recently, I almost got into a major repair on a working Ford, when the P04DB error popped up, similar as described by you. How good that I saw on the forum What Is P04DB Code on 6.7L Powerstroke & How To Fix It? what a mistake and sent the car on the truck

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.