DodgeIntrepid.Net Forums banner

Engine Revving at 5000 RPM in PARK

2K views 9 replies 4 participants last post by  peva 
#1 ·
Hey guys, I'm new here. I have a 2000 3.2 Intrepid... just had the torque converter replaced, once everything was hooked back up, car started revving to 5000 RPM's in park. Checked all the vacuum lines, everything is connected where it should be. Can SOMEONE PLEASE help me figure out what is wrong with this car. It wasn't doing this before the torque was replaced. Car has been out of commission for 9 weeks now and I am extremely frustrated.

Thanks in advance!

#4 ·
I am talking about the upper intake...the big black plastic housing you see on top when you open the hood. If he removed it to help access the back of the engine, there is a good possibility it was not set correctly back on...leaving a gap between it and the engine...also one common mistake is to not seat the EGR tubes (large metal tubes at the bottom rear of the plenum that seal into the bottom of it with large o-rings) back into the bottom of the plenum correctly; which will in turn cause a vacuum leak and a high rev situation.

Try and find out what was disassembled exactly and we can go from there. It sounds like a major vacuum leak, there isnt much else that can cause this.

#5 ·
He swears it's not a vacuum leak. Either way, this is what he says he removed when he did the torque exchange:

cv's, starter, brakes, air box, trodle (throttle I am assuming, I have no clue) body wearing for trans, trans linkage, exhaust pipes and throttle body as well as ground wire, also the steering linkage, sway bar, and one moter mount and trans mout and trans

#6 ·
Maybe he has the throttle cable tweaked when he put the throttle body back on? The cable might be improperly installed and holding the throttle plate open? Thought these things weren't supposed to rev past 4000 rpm in park or neutral?

#8 ·
Then it's back to a major vacuum leak like Dan indicated in post #4/

#9 ·
He mentioned something about the butterfly being closed but having play when you put pressure on it with your finger, does that mean anything to you?

I'm not completely car stupid, but this has me beyond frustrated because you guys keep saying vacuum leak and he swears on everything that's holy that that is the first thing he checked.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.