DodgeIntrepid.Net Forums banner

Clunk when I turn my wheel to the left?

11K views 22 replies 9 participants last post by  mikey6400 
#1 ·
I hit a pretty bad pothole some time ago. Ever since, my car has been drifting to the right (slightly). I also get this God-awful thud/clunk sound when I turn my steering wheel to the left. I'd like to get an idea of what's wrong BEFORE I start throwing money at it...

#2 ·
Jack the front end up and wiggle the wheels in each direction. Top to bottom, left to right and report back. That would help narrow it down.

#3 ·
just did. both wheels wiggle from left to right, but only slightly. not top to bottom. i jacked up the driver side and then the passenger side. i'm not sure if that's what you wanted me to do, but it's what i did and those are the results i got.

should the wheels have been wiggling at all?

#7 ·
so i decided to take the car into the shop. the mechanic replaced a "strut rod bushing" and did a front end alignment. the clunk has virtually disappeared, the car rides better and, since my tire rotation today, handles a lot better. now my only problem is the car drifting to the right when i have the steering wheel straight.

i'm guessing a number of things could be causing this: improperly installed rack? bad rack bushings? bad tie rod bushings? misalignment?

i'm thinking it could still be the inner tie rod bushings. any input will be much appreciated.

#9 ·
Which is true?:
1. When you put the steering wheel straight and hold it there, the car turns slightly to the right.
2. When you have the car going straight, if you take your hands off the wheel, the car continues to go straight (with the wheel turned slightly).
3. When you have the car going straight, if you take your hands off the wheel, the steering wheel will move slightly, and the car will start going slightly to the right.

Did you get 'before' and 'after' alignment printouts?

#10 ·
the first is true: "When you put the steering wheel straight and hold it there, the car turns slightly to the right."

it's quite irritating to have to drive around with my steering wheel cocked to the left to keep the car moving in a straight line all the time.

unfortunately, i do not have "before" and "after" printouts of the alignment.

#12 · (Edited)
I should have not had 1. In there (we know that is true) and had you choose between 2. and 3.

Printouts would tell you what's going on without the guessing. That's why it's important to get them.

#15 ·
Sorry don´t try to hijack this thread but I have a similar problem that might be related...

I got that awful clunk too, but in my case it happens the first time I hit the brakes after any left/right turn.

I can hit the breaks many times and nothing happens while I drive straight, but as soon a turn either side the first I touch the brake pedal I can heard that awful "clunk", but if hit the brakes while turning and/or before the steering wheel gets straight nothing happens.

My mechanic already replace both axles thinking it was the problem, but it doesn't. Any idea what might be?

#20 ·
old thread. just thought those interested, if any, would like to know that i had new outer tie rods and bushings installed. also got new front tires as mine were worn down to the steel on the inside of the treads. had the wheels aligned and balanced. no drifting, no pulling, no noises, tighter steering. very happy with the results. problem=solved :D

#23 ·
I knew that, which is one of the many reasons I finally broke down and had the work done. I made my decision to fix this car for whatever it would cost when I actually thought I was going to die when my wheel started wobbling because of a bad outer tie rod while I was going down I-280 at ~70mph. I thought that wheel was going to fly. Long story short, I had both outer tie rods, inner tie rod bushings, two new GoodYear Assurance ComforTred tires mounted and balanced, and a front end alignment done:

2 MOOG outer tie rods....................$93.45 each
Inner tie rod bushing........................$34.80
Labor.............................................$240
GoodYear Assurance ComforTred.....$149.50 each (2x, mounted and balanced)
Front end alignment........................$89.95
Uncle Sam's Cut............................$59.55

Total..............................................$910.20

I have a feeling I was ripped off (price-wise) on the OTRs. Tires...well i could have ordered them online for $99 each and had them both shipped to my house for $45 and change--i needed them NOW and had to bite the bullet on that.

Congrats! I need to still do that to mine as well. Except getting a new engine in the car might be a little more important.
yup, i think so. because those tires are quite useless without an engine to keep 'em rollin'!

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.