DodgeIntrepid.Net Forums banner

What are the specs on the Stock Amp for the Infinity System (2001 Intrepid ES)?

25K views 11 replies 9 participants last post by  BiliTheAxe 
#1 ·
:smileyvault-newhere
Searched but couldn't find a thread with these details.

What are the specs on the Stock Amp for the Infinity System (2001 Intrepid ES)?

I just want to know if better speakers can be paired with this amp. I Also want to know how the stock amp compares to my aftermarket head unit as far as RMS power goes.

Thanks

#2 ·
240w if you have the Infinity I system (mounted towards the right side of the dash - same location that the Midline amplifiers use)

360w if you have the Infinity II system (usually mounted in the trunk)

to the best of my knowledge, all of the Infinity systems are designed for use with 2 ohm speakers (not as common) which means that if you change out the speakers with 4 ohm speakers (very common) then you will not get as much power output from the amp. However, I do not know if these power output figures are peak values or RMS. someone else will have to clarify this for us

#3 ·
ok,, here goes,, if it has sail speakers, The little ones up by the windows on the front doors,, its a midline unit, 240 watt the Intrepid did not come with the amp in the trunk, no sail speakers, no amp
2 ohm,, thats what i know

#4 ·
Midline will have unmarked sale speakers and a 120watt amp. Speakers will be 4 ohm. If the sail speakers have the Infinity Logo or Premium Sound logo it's an Infinity I system with a 240w amp Speakers are 2 ohm for all Infinity systems. Intrepid never got the Infinity II system which had a 320-360w amp which is located in the trunk on the passengers side standing upright.

#5 ·
My 2002 Intrepid had "Premium Sound" markings on the sails with the Midline system.

Midline is 4 ohms and uses some very strange amp chips from Philips. There's a mechanism called a charge pump on each chip that allows this thing to deliver 30W RMS. Aftermarket speakers work well...even more so if you modify the amp. (requires decent electronics skill, I forgot some of the details...talk to me if you're curious)

Infinity amps rely on low impedance (2 ohms) to get their power and there is no charge pump. This amp has built in EQ and crossovers and does not play nice with aftermarket speakers. They aren't worth modding...it's too much trouble for too little gain.

#6 ·
I recently installed infinity kappa 693.9i 6"x9" rear speakers in my 2000 r/t....I have the 240 watt infinity system....sounds better than stock, works great with my factory amp....they are 2 ohm speakers...haven't replaced door speakers or sail speakers as of yet but soon....the 2 ohm speakers are out there if u look and don't mind spending a lil cash....not much of a selection tho...got mine at cruthfield.com but ebay has the same speakers...I needed an adaptor to install the speaker which cruthfield included for free.....

#8 · (Edited)
Further elaborations on my older post....
The Infinity amps rely solely on low impedance speakers. They can deliver a good bit of current but they have very little voltage capability. Thus, to deliver lots of current with little voltage, the impedance must be very low. Also, each channel isn't all that potent, the power is spread over 6 or more channels. That's not what most people want for aftermarket speakers unless they're crazy like me and are going for a custom active crossover, tri-amp system.

In addition, the Infinity amp contains crossovers and equalization that is tailored for the Infinity speakers. It does not sound right or give much output with aftermarket speakers. You're better off with deck power!

What's interesting as hell is that the Midline amp puts out more power to 4 ohm speakers than the Infinity system will! The Midline amp is considerably more advanced form a power supply standpoint. In addition to lacking the pesky crossovers, it has an additional feature that makes it more suited for aftermarket speakers. It has a charge pump built into each amp IC (there are four). This charge pump charges up two external capacitors in parallel, giving each about 12V across them. The amp, when it needs it, then connects these caps in *series* for a quick boost to 24V! When that's done, it hooks them back up in parallel and charges them back up just in time for the next drum beat.

Changing the two 2200uF caps next to each chip to 4700uF will allow for up to 40W/ch with 30W/ch at low distortion. Getting it to fit may be hard and you will need Low ESR rated caps. It's an easy mod tough.

#9 ·
by-pass factory amp

just got an Intrepid on Saturday, a 2000 SE, full package. No Intrepid XP points yet, but steadily patching up little projects that need done, just finished fixing the blend door actuator (a real joy to get to...NOT ) I rebuilt the 12v electric motor in the actuator case and now there's heat ;) Apparently the actuator had been sitting in water for a while (Rust)
My issue is I got the Infinity Audio System (2- 6x9's rear deck, 2- 6½ doors),& 2 sail tweets in door pillars, 240 amp in right kick panel. AM/FM/Casstte/ w/ separate 4 disc CD changer. First issue is all 4 main speakers are toasted, + CD laser has gotten weak (doesn't play burned discs too well). I am going to put in a double DIN 7" touchscreen head unit (fabricating a trim plate) From what I have read here, it's optimal to bypass the amp, correct? These are 2 ohm speakers and I am replacing all 4 w/ 4ohm, So best scenario would be bypass factory amp & to go deck power?? (also Putting 2 10's and a Memphis 1000w in trunk) If one wanted to use the factory wiring,would there be a pin out diag available somewhere of the amps I/O wire colors??...or can I drop a 4 ohm resistor across these Rockford's and make 'em 2 ohm :D

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.