DodgeIntrepid.Net Forums banner

Car stuck in Autostick 1st gear?

3K views 16 replies 6 participants last post by  cdmccul 
#1 ·
Had brake lines replaced... parked at autozone, restarted engine.. revved engine, then check engine light came on, engine shut off, and RPM gauge slowly went down (while car was off and engine not revving).. Weird huh? The best part is the car sayd Autostick 1 no matter what gear I put the car into... The shifts work, park, neutral... but the car stays in 1.. and wont start... What would cause this? My brakes are once again leaking.. Had to have the car towed back to the shop 30 mins after picking it up... any ideas?

#7 ·
Apparently my engine controller fuse blew.. Thanks for the help. Now the serious problem... Whenever i'm in neutral and rev the car to 6K or so... the fuse blows.. every time. What would cause this? Bad engine ground? I just put in a new alternator, and I know for a fact the the belt is slipping... Any other ideas as to what would cause this? I'm pretty sure my EGR is stuck open a little.. even though I replaced the valve, maybe the tubes or something are clogged, not sure if that would cause something..

this problem started after I had a huge positive short to ground... which caused my brake lines to melt... and then light on fire.

#8 ·
Apparently my engine controller fuse blew.. Thanks for the help. Now the serious problem... Whenever i'm in neutral and rev the car to 6K or so... the fuse blows.. every time. What would cause this? Bad engine ground? I just put in a new alternator, and I know for a fact the the belt is slipping... Any other ideas as to what would cause this? I'm pretty sure my EGR is stuck open a little.. even though I replaced the valve, maybe the tubes or something are clogged, not sure if that would cause something..
i would think the more important question is why are you revving your car to 6K in neutral ?
:smack: :poke:

#10 ·
You may have a bad cam or crank sensor - but as for the light staying on in autostick mode - I have that all the time, but I have a non-premium BCM running an autostick cluster - maybe you have a BCM problem or a databus problem creaping up on you?

Honestly, just kinda blue-skying it there.

#11 ·
Whats a BCM??

Is it possible my PCM is messed up? I only have strong power steering when i leave the car in run for 15 mins (engine off), then start it. Once started, the power steering works for about 4 full rotations then goes back into being lazy.

I also noticed my PCM makes a weird high pitch noise when the car is in run (engine off).

#12 ·
BCM = Body Control Module. It controls all stuff on the inside and the lighting system outside.The body Control Module (BCM) is located under the dash and is basically mounted close to the door. If you take out the glovebox, you will see it...

When you say strong Power steering, you mean the wheel is hard to rotate when you have the car in run (Engine off)? If so that is normal and nothing to worry about, but if you have to much power steering, it can cause the play in the wheel that you are seeing. Either the Power Steering Pump is failing, or your steering rack could be going south on you...

The High pitch whine that you maybe hearing from the PCM I think is normal and nothing to really worry about as well since mine also make a high pitch whine when in run (Engine Off), but once started it is quiet.

#13 ·
Wow thanks for the help, I'm starting to think its the BCM. My interior lights flicker when the engine is idle, and when i had my system bumping really hard one time, i smelled something burning that seemed to come from under the dash. What are some other signs of a bad BCM? Sometimes my hazard lights turn on by themselves (the damn thing even unclicks). My entire car runs better in hot weather, and sometimes when i hit a bump, my system is louder for a second. I have also noticed my alternator is making a whining sound as if its under load (its brand new!!).. any ideas? I'm about to have the car electrical tested on thursday and have lotsss of $ spent :(

#14 · (Edited)
the car wouldn't communicate with the computer properly which they said meant that the BCM was bad in it because it wouldn't relay information to the computer.

Flashing interior lights, door locks going nutty, random chimes all are signs that the BCM is toast.

Took those statements from others posts regarding the BCM, I am having all of those symptoms. Would a bad BCM cause my engine controller fuse to blow at higher RPM?

Also would the BCM have anything to do with my power steering?

I have also noticed that sometimes when i put the car into run or start the engine not all of my dash lights come on, sometimes my cruise light flashes, sometimes it doesnt. Also the same with my ABS light on my message center. And the chime when i start the car starts and stops half way through. ayyy lol

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.