DodgeIntrepid.Net Forums banner

HID is non-projector housings

3K views 13 replies 5 participants last post by  Dana44 
#1 ·
Okay, After polishing my lenses and wet sanding them to perfection.. I'm still not getting the light output I want. I've decided to go the HID route in the stock housings. I've found SEVERAL kits on eBay and various sites...

My question is, Is it illegal / bad / dangerous to put HIDs in a regular stock 300M housing? I've heard mixed things. Some people say it'll cause so much light scatter and blind oncoming traffic, And the light output wouldn't be usable... Other people have said it has a good enough cut-off to prevent that and give good output.. and alot of other randoms said they didn't see a difference between HIDs and Sylvania Silverstars (And these were many different kits involved)

So does anyone hear have first hand experience with HIDs in the stock housing? Is it possible? Where I live (Montana) I see people with super bright lights (even on low beam) and cops don't care (Hell, cops seem to have the same issue!) and I mostly drive on highways.

#2 ·
I have a 9600K HID kit in my factory headlights and fog lights. I live in Indiana and drive alot at night on dark roads....I tried Slyvania Silverstars....they are marginally better than stock bulbs but not enough for me....and they only lasted about 11 months and died...so I spent $80 a kit and got the HID kits and they are amazing......I've never had one single car bright me as to say I was blinding them....never...and like I said I drive alot at night and use them. I chose a very light blue but mainly bright white color....I did not adjust my headlights at all from where they were set previously....around here MANY people use the kits and have no cop troubles.....the bulb was a H1 instead of factory 2006 or whatever it was....I say get some...but I got full size ballast and not slim ballast....my ballasts fit perfectly under my Intrepids headlights and came with a mounting bracket.....don't just ziptie them and leave them hanging somewhere in your bumpercover cuz the ballast WILL go bad bumping around inside there....your M will have the exact same place to mount as my intrepid...trust me

#3 ·
im not as sure about M housings but in intrepid housings they glare REALLY bad. your best option would be a projector retrofit. not overly complicated, and has fantastic results. with a lot more usable light.

projectors like this...

http://www.theretrofitsource.com/product_info.php?products_id=3181

those are bi-xenon and will provide en EXCELLENT low and even better high beam(combined with the stock high beam).(whereas HID's in the stock reflector housings will give a mediocre low beam and poor high beam) projectors are a little pricey, but they do have cheaper models if your on a budget.

#9 · (Edited)
I've got a pair of projectors from a stock pair of OEM Special headlights. OEM D1S bulbs are available along with OEM ballasts but you probably won't like the price like all my other stuff. Also have Morimoto Bi-Xenon Projectors and HID Bulb/Ballast kits.

Special projectors only:

D1S HID bulbs/ballasts:

Morimoto Bi-Xenon Projectors with Xentec HID kit (Bulbs/ballasts):

#12 ·
Be aware you would need D1S bulbs with the ignitor box at the base of the bulb and the special ballasts that go with them to run Standard Special Projectors. I have those for sale also but the price goes up dramatically.

I'm guessing in your case the most cost effective retrofit would be Morimotos along with the appropriate HID Bulbs/Ballasts.

Good luck in whatever your choice is.

#11 · (Edited)
the stock projectors would be more difficult to retrofit because of the design. the stock housings for those are designed for the projector, where as the morimoto projectors are designed for the housing(almost any housing). PLUS the morimoto would give you a much better high beam because its bi-xenon. where as the stock projector is not. and ron may correct me on this but i believe the morimoto low beam is better as well. i think your best bet would be getting the morimoto kit from ronbo.

#13 ·
Rather than making a new thread about it.. I'll just revive this one.

I can get a pretty good HID kit for my car (With either regular ballast, or slim ballast) for cheap... My question is, What mod(s) can I do to my stock housings (If any?) to fit an HID in it and make sure I am not blinding anyone?

#14 ·
And how the hell do you aim the stock housings?! I know how to do the up / down part... but not the left / right.. because I had my entire frontend disassembled over the weekend and must knocked something out of wack because my passenger side light is pointing way to the left..

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.