DodgeIntrepid.Net Forums banner

Making a conversion kit for the LH Platform

4K views 21 replies 11 participants last post by  Arashi 
#1 · (Edited)
Hi guys
I wish to create a custom design for the LH platform starting six months from now and Im thinking about making it open sourced so that anyone can have the plans, including my 3D model, and create a conversion kit with their own tools.

There are lots of technicalities to this of course and by making it open sourced, hopefully members might be interested in devoting their time to help accomplish this project quicker and smoothly.

This is my current concept design for the kit, I know not everyone is going to like it... and if this project does interest volunteers, then know that other custom designs can be made instead and by using the same techniques. Even if I quit, this idea can still fruit into a nice looking kit by other members.

*Exclude the none functioning vents
i.imgur.com/y6suA.jpg

i.imgur.com/OZBVH.jpg

Here is an early cut roof one I did (uses Lexus Styling)
i.imgur.com/roQzD.jpg

Previous concept
forums.vwvortex.com/showthread.php?5718296-My-custom-Camaro-stretched-concept

See less See more
#8 · (Edited)
Its basically about making a big body kit to fit over the Intrepid and similar platform models.
So you have funding for this kind of project? These are serious custom fab body kits.... like near 100% new sheetmetal.

Are you aware of the structural consequences of cutting the roof off of a uni body car?
Im hoping my first kit for my 90's Nissan 300zx, which Ive yet to make, will fund this.

Here is what I expect the budget to be.

For the donor;
$1500 Intrepid (seems like the slickest to start with)
$1000 lowering suspension
$300 spacers
=$2800

For the build;
$500 in foam for my CNC machine to cut the panels, the machine is still in construction i.imgur.com/EMju0.jpg
$500 for plastic panels which I will vacuum form in a backyard, ground pit oven. (experimental)

$200 for fiberglass reinforcing the panels from the inside
$100 for various mounting supports
$300 vinyl car wrap
=$1600

totals $4400
optional will be new headlights off another car ($500-2000)

After production, a kit could be possibly made for as little as $1000 and resold for $2000
Converting a car and selling it to the general public can bring in profits as much as 5-10k and even more.

Note the panels will be riveted and bolted over the existing body with possible inner ribs to keep it stiff and solid when kicked.
-------------

Making the t-top/sectional hard top roof has its own problems but considering how cool of a mod it would be, it may be worth it one day.

One big concern is if it's legal to make a convertible conversion in the first place, which it should be because all the new cars should have strong enough A-pillars to withstand a roll over.

Other concerns are minor if one is intending to keep the car as a cruiser then maneuver in high speeds.
There is a thread on making a convertible but I've yet to read it.
dodgeintrepid.net/showthread.php?t=89570

#9 ·
I design and build small and large fiberglass parts for the company I work for. Good luck engineering and making molds for this project for that kind of money.

#12 ·
Well since I my posts are just going to get deleted anyways I will just check out. I guess my years of experience designing parts in 3D modeling programs, building large fiberglass molds and my mild obsession with Intrepids is not enough to convince anyone that this guy isn't a flake.

#14 ·
I don't see why you are out to convince us that he's a flake.

I do think that he'll find out that the work he suggests is harder (and more expensive) that he thinks, but until he asks for money, why not let him knock himself out?

I didn't check out his CNC machine video, but at least the image looks like a start in the right direction.

#15 · (Edited)
Some of my methods are experimental because the proven methods cost thousands to do. I forgot to add a few hundred dollars for the mold cost, and this a small fraction of what regular fiberglass ones would cost because my kit panels will initially be thin plastic then reinforced. So this means my molds dont have to be super strong and cost as much.

#19 ·
So this means my molds dont have to be super strong and cost as much.
<Puts on black and white striped shirt>

How were you going to do the parts? Vacuum formed and then fiberglass reinforced? It so, you'll still need strong molds because the molds hold the form while you add on the layers of fiberglass. Otherwise you can easily end up with strong, but warped parts which won't fit right.

#17 · (Edited)
Most car models are at Googles 3D Warehouse
sketchup.google.com/3dwarehouse/

an ultimate collection of cars can be found from this Forza 4 cars release
google.com/search?q=CGPersia.com+forza&ie=utf-8&oe=utf-8&aq=t&rls=org.mozilla:en-US:eek:fficial&client=firefox-a

I also rip cars from games when possible, I think the Intrepid one may have been created by a player who probably used blue prints to make it because it just looks right including that the length and width are correct.

For sure when I get an Intrepid I'll measure all the sections so it corresponds to the model.

#21 ·
Yikes.

Been doing 3D modeling and animation for years, and have dived into the whole modeling for machining deal too. Costly as hell to produce things, even at a "low budget" strategy.

Your efforts are definitely something to admire. But you really should come up with some designs and see if you can "sell" the concept before you start an assembly line.

#22 · (Edited)
Thanks, to make a great profit return I could start with a replica because its design will be recognized and wanted... but I like to think of myself as my number one customer, and will pick a custom design that Im most passionate about. Hopefully I'll have a small percentage of customers, out of the great American population, who share the same design taste and will buy into a re-bodied car.

Here is a replica of a Saleen concept I did.
i.imgur.com/V3w7N.jpg

The Camaro and this Chrysler base share similar front dimensions, but the Chrysler has a longer wheel base, where the Camaro would need a stretch for most exotic designs.
In this render I fit a Ferrari Italia onto a stretched Camaro... so the same can be done to an LH platform without the complicated stretching modifications.
madmechanics.com/forum/consumer-opinions/16098-dreamers-corner-consumer-opinions-kit-concepts.html

Most likely I'll be doing something like the following designs or the yellow car posted on the first page of this thread.
i.imgur.com/QV5QA.jpg
i.imgur.com/ywXeF.jpg
i.imgur.com/yzVMT.jpg

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.