DodgeIntrepid.Net Forums banner

Headlights don't work

3K views 12 replies 8 participants last post by  Axle 
#1 ·
Like 6 months ago, every once in a while, I would turn the headlight switch off, and then the car, and I noticed that my headlights were still off. If I then went back to the car, flicked the switch to on and back to off, then, they would shut off. I payed no attention to it at that point. Then, a couple of months ago, I flicked the switch on, but they didn't come on. After a little bit of swearing and thinking, I pulled the lever so that the brights come on and figured I could at least make it home like that. Low and behold, the regular headlights started working soon as I let go the lever. So it has been doing that every once in a while since then. However, today, I turned switch, and when I pulled the lever for them to come on, they didn't. Now I don't know what to do. I don't think it's the fuse cause the brights still work, but the regular lights don't.

#2 ·
I had the annoying problem of when I turned my headlight switch off too fast, the lights would stay on but all the dash lights would turn off. If I turned the switch back on then off again, the headlights would shut off like usual. It's happend a few times. Only does it when I turn the switch fast. I have no idea what the hell causes it.

#3 ·
The cars are wired so that if you shut off the car before you shut off the lights, then the lights will stay on for approximately 2 minutes, but if you turn off the lights before you turn off the car, or if you turn off the car then turn the lights off then on, then off again, they will come off.

#4 ·
I know that already, I need to know what you guys think is the problem as to why they have stopped working completely? Someone suggested that it is one of the fuses, and that will be checked tomorrow, but I am wondering what else it could be?

#6 ·
I haven't had any trouble with the lights not coming on or turning off when I didn't want them to. It sounds like a wiring or electronic issue. I don't know exactly how the lights are wired but it may have something to do with the timer. If the timer is in charge of turning the lights off if the car is shut down before the light switch is turned off, maybe it is fu*king with the whole system and not letting it come on. Maybe the time always = 0 when the lights are supposed to turn off? Just a suggestion.

#11 ·
Yeah, suddenly there is an invasion of dark, striped first gens. They look sweet, but the bad part is my regular trap looks worse every day.:)

#13 ·
Ok, guys, just got back, and here is what I found out. It was in fact the switch, the problem is that there are two of them! The one you guys are talking about is the thing to the right of the steering wheel that you rotate to the right to turn on, and pull onto yourself to turn on the foglights. We tried replacing that first, but it didn't change anything. After talking to a dodge dealership, we found out there is another switch which is behind the steering wheel to which the turn signal and hi-beam controller is connected to. This little POS was indeed the problem because the copper points had melted a little bit and there was no contact. 220 dollars and 2.5 hours later, I had me working headlights, and, on a sidenote, I had the tranny cover piece with the discs replaced for free.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.