DodgeIntrepid.Net Forums banner

Hard to start but smooth idle

2K views 23 replies 9 participants last post by  95intrepid99kid 
#1 ·
I have a 94 Eagle Vision, V6 3.5L In the past 3-4 months its started to start rough. Instead of starting right up it would hesitate, then start. I went away for 3 days the past weekend and when I came home it took a few minutes of cranking to get it to kick over. Once it is running it seems to idle and run fine. I’ve replace the spark plugs and checked the air filter. No sure wheat direction to go in. Doesn’ seem to me to be fuel if it is idling fine. Any suggestions?

#2 ·
Fuel leak somewhere I would suspect.

To let the fuel pump build pressure, turn the key to run and back to off a couple times and letting it sit for a couple seconds each time before starting it. If it starts right away when you go to start it for real you'll know for sure.

#3 ·
Is it a case where you turn the key and it will crank and crank and crank, you let go, and hit the key again and it starts, or is it a case where you crank and crank and crank, and with out stopping and re-starting, it starts up?

If it is where you let go and hit the key again, I would suspect ignition switch. I have I think bugged out my problem to being a bad switch - I was hitting the key over and over, not starting - then I banged on the bottom of the steering column good, and it started just fine. I think I have a dirty contact or a loose connector.

#4 ·
I turned the key and cranked it for 5-10 secs or so. Then repeated that maybe 4-5 times and it finally started up. This was the case when it sat for 3 days. Daily, I turn they key and crank it for a few seconds and it starts up. Maybe twice as long as I would normally turn the key

#5 ·
Try the suggested key thing, then I suspect a bad switch.

The fuel pump will prime when you first turn the key from "off". If you put the key in, and begin to roll it forward, you take it out of "off" and then into "on", then into the "crank" position. Next time you try to start the car, turn the key from "off" to "on", then back to "off" and back to "on" a few times... then try to start normally. See if that makes it behave any better. If it does, then we suspect a bad fuel pump or leaky regulator or something along those lines - but since you say it idles and high speeds just fine, I agree, it likely isn't a fuel SUPPLY problem (but still could be a pressure retention issue).

#11 ·
I tried the "key" thing the past few days doing it in the morning at lunch and in the evening. So with 8-9 tries so far I have not seen any change. There is still a hesitation when starting. I actually did add a bottle of fuel injector cleaner yesterday when I filled up. I will see if I can look into the change in the gap of the spark plugs. Seems a bit weird why that would be the case though because it started acting up before I put in new spark plugs.

#12 ·
I tend to agree that plugs are not the issue, we'll see about fuel, but yes, you've likely proven that it isn't a fuel leakdown problem.

Just to clarify - you can turn the key forward all the way to "crank" and the engine will just crank forever - then you let go of it, and turn the key back to "crank" and it will start up right away as if nothing is wrong?

And, sometimes you don't have to do it twice... sometimes it starts on the first turn of the key, and sometimes you may have to turn it three times?

#13 ·
No, not exactly. It will start on the first turn of the key. However, I am getting a hesitation when I turn the key to start the car where the engine cranks for a couple seconds then turns over, more than usual.

What alarmed me into thinking there was a larger issue that I need to find is when the car sat for 3 days. That's when I went to start it and it took me 10-15 mins or so of cranking to get it to turn over.

#15 ·
On the average day I don't notice a bad smell of fuel in the exhaust. When it sat for those 3 days and I finally got it started it did smell like fuel and a bunch of white smoke came out initially but I did end up pumping the gas pedal that time to try and get it started so I didn't think too much about it.

I am actually going hunting this weekend and it will sit for 2 days.

#16 ·
BEFORE you try to start it after sitting two days, open the hood and find the fuel pressure port - should be on the front of the engine, just under the thermostat housing if you have the 3.5, and along the driver's side (I think) of the intake manifold, along between the intake and the valve cover, on the 3.3. Unscrew the cap, and wrap a rag around a small screwdriver - press in on the tip of the valve with the screw driver and see how much pressure you get.

If the regulator and check valve and injectors are all sealing properly, even a car that has sat months at a junk yard will have a strong spray of fuel. If you don't, then it narrows it down to a fuel problem at least.

If you DO get a strong spray, then we need to look at MAP and IAC issues I think.

#18 ·
I would look to the MAP sensor if you are having issues on start up. Did you pull any codes? Did I misss this?

#22 · (Edited)
hmm having similar problems to this guy though mine will I can hear backfiring under the hood if I stomp the gas while trying to start it. only had it happen twice but was after sitting for a couple days. finally started real rough and just had to keep giving it gas lightly til it smoothed out. it does idle rough but that I am pretty sure is my ignition wires which I am changing out today. Been getting jerking too on hills too but no codes were coming up. guess I will try the wires and plugs then the crank and camshaft sensors and if all else fails a 2x4 lol I refuse to take it into a mechanics only to get bent over the counter. Reading this thread would I be better off trying out the MAP sensor before the crank and camshaft sensors? My fuel pump is fine and have plenty of fuel pressure. Also it seems worse when its cold out.

hmm ok did just get a 21,41,51

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.