DodgeIntrepid.Net Forums banner

cradle mounts

3K views 17 replies 5 participants last post by  crypt keeper 
#1 ·
So, all four of my front are worn but the front right upper is non existent. Will that make my car pull under heavy acceleration?

#2 ·
Without a doubt! Bad cradle bushings completely screw up the alignment as well as mess with the cv joints and trans mount

#4 ·
Make sure you do a search, there are many good threads on this topic here.

I have done 4 sets myself without an assistant. The biggest challenge is getting the the bolts out because of rust. Thats a new can of worms and there are several ways to resolve it. You will have to loosen all of them so that there is enough play in the cradle to remove the upper bushing, work from side to side. What I mean is loosen all the bolts a bit and then loosen both drivers side a bit more, then do the front drivers side and then the rear, something like that. Then you can do one corner at a time like you suggested. The poly bushings fit tight. You need to reuse the metal from the old bushings and clean them up really well. Then getting the upper bushing in is a challenge. Grease it up good and make sure you don't tear them getting them in. Poly is tough but not indestructible. Car on good jack stands is a must and two floor jacks is better than one.

Good luck, post up with more questions

#6 ·
My upper bushings were rusted in bad. I found that an easy way to get them out is to grab around the metal piece with a pipe wrench and twist it up and out. If yours are seized in, this will save you a ton of time.

You should soak the bolts in PB Blaster ahead of time as well, there are access windows where you can spray it onto the tip of the bolt where it goes through the nut.

#7 ·
So i just purchased the poly bushings. should be here by next week. I checked the inner tie rod ends left was bad so i replaced the right was pretty solid and now neither have any play from what i can tell. The boots on the outer tie rod ends as well as the ball joints are worn but all are still fairly firm and do not need to be replaced. struts are new on the front. On the way to work this morning i hit 105. I had to hold the wheel fairly hard to keep it straight...its kinda all over the place. and if i let of the gas it tugs hard to the left before it straigtens out as well as the clunk sound. Im truely hoping its the cradle mounts otherwise im stumped.

#11 ·
If you have suspension issues and drive 105, you might find yourself late forever... :baseballbat:

#14 ·
There is special poly bushing grease that is very glue like, its purpose is to prevent the poly from squeaking. I don't think its necessary in this application. I would just use regular grease to make inserting them in the frame easier. The grease wont hurt the poly, they are grease and oil resistant .

#15 ·
front came out and went in with no issues. burnt old mounts pieces off, cleaned the parts and re-installed all told 35 minutes but it got dark fast and didnt want to chance the backs. front tires stayed on the car, i used 2 jack stands and a floor jack. going to attack the rears tomorrow

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.