DodgeIntrepid.Net Forums banner

Shifter Stuck

20K views 16 replies 10 participants last post by  peva 
#1 ·
Like the title says my shifter got stuck and wouldn't shift into park when I got to work and as I was moving it back and forth, it ended up getting stuck in L. I tried forcing it out of L and I think I either broke something or maybe disconnected something.
Does anyone know what might have caused my shifter to lock up on me and what do I need and part numbers for it. Also how do I go about fixing it and how difficult is it to fix it.
I do apologize for not searching but since I recently moved and am in-between ISP providers hence I am posting from work.

Thanks in advance.

#4 ·
Yep seized cable.
I bent my shifter just a bit trying to get it to move when it happened to me.
Replacement was a PITA!!!!

#5 ·
Thanks for the info guy, the replacement arrived yesterday.

Having problems with the last few steps listed in the FSM for removal.

How do I remove the cable from the routing bracket and how do I disconnect the shifter cable from the shift lever assembly at transaxle. My biggest issue is that there are a lot of stuff in the way. Any tips would be appreciated.

Thanks guys.

#6 · (Edited)
to disconnect from the transmission, you have to remove the 10 mm nut on the driver's side of the transmission housing, just behind/at the back of the bell housing, up high. It holds the large collar on the cable to the transmission. With that nut removed (and the clamp half), you can just pop the cable off the ball-stud on the bell-crank using a screwdriver.

I'll try to find you a pic.

It is the red dot left of center bottom of pic, and the first item in the list on the right

#7 · (Edited)
Hopefully your shifter is OK. Before replacing the cable on one of my Concordes (I've replaced it on both), I drove it for a while with it partially binding. While it didn't ever totally sieze, and I never forced it, the extra force required to move it did cause the pivot pin at the bottom of the shifter to eventually break, so I ended up also having to replace the shifter. Just saying that to encourage you to inspect the operation of the shifter (make sure the shifter isn't wobbly) before you put the bezel back on.

You know how to adjust the cable? See FSM - very easy to do.

#8 · (Edited)
Im having this problem w/ my trep now. Stuck in reverse and the pin where the cable attaches bent and the tiny pin to the left of shifter (not sure what its to but when i move it i hear the ignition jiggle) broke off. Do i need to replace the entire shifter assembly? Im sure this is probly a dumb question but i wanna be sure. Btw, after i took it all apart i was able to reattach the shift cable and bend pin back but is it gonna be ok?

#9 ·
This problem just happen to me a 204k and after wrestiling with my shifter and breaking it my transmission is in limp mode. I'm guessing limp mode when all the gears Parking Reverse and the 1-4 Autostick gears are highlighted. This just recently happen to me Saturday night. Is my shift lever on my transaxle OK?

#13 ·
Yes. You would notice a definite drag when moving the shifter long before it becomes a real problem. It is due to moisture and corrosion inside the sheath. It would continue to get worse gradually over several weeks or months. You may never have a problem. They made some design changes in the cable before the 2003 model year that eliminated the problem.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.