DodgeIntrepid.Net Forums banner

'98 2.7l crapped out on me..

835 views 7 replies 5 participants last post by  johngmoney13 
#1 ·
I got my '98 2.7l back in october with I think 170k miles on it. Seemed to run fine. Just had to replace the battery. It worked great for the last 3 months untill about 2 weeks ago when it just wouldnt turn over. The mechanic friend that I took it to said that he ran diagnostic codes and the one that came up was the one for the egr valve. So he replaced that. But it still doesnt run. He keeps saying that the egr valve could malfunction and screw up the computer. Is this true? What can I do in my current car-less situation? Please advice and help.

#3 ·
I did forget to mention that the day it crapped out on me, it would turn over then die. I started it once again and it stayed on for about a minute or so but I had no throttle. I was trying to rev the engine by pressing on the gas and nothing would happen. Then it died.

I do believe the code he said it was is the P0406 code if I am not mistaken.

#5 ·
This is pretty in line with what happened with my intrepid a few years back. After a lot of messing around we changed the cam shaft sensor (i'm not sure the part, those are the words I remember), and it worked again for a long while - until today. Same thing, stalled while on an incline waiting for a green light - engine oil light came on, loss of throttle, engine turns over but can't stay on. All the electricals work but the car is just dead with engine oil light and cruise control light on. I was able to start it up again after waiting 30mins and thankfully make it home. Any suggestions?

#8 ·
UPDATE: My mechanic friend just installed a new computer (ECM, maybe) in addition to installing a new egr valve this week. He said it turns over and reverses on a cold start. ONce it get hot it shuts down. He waited a while untill the car was cold again and he said it started once again. He is thinking its the catalytic converter.

This really is getting to be a pain as I have not had my trep for going on two weeks.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.