DodgeIntrepid.Net Forums banner

Transmission flush. Good idea, Bad idea?

9K views 53 replies 13 participants last post by  Adpros 
#1 ·
My 300M has about 187k on it, and my transmission fluid is smelling and looking less than healthy as of late. It shifts fine, No problems, No shimmy, stutter, slipping or grinding. But the fluid smells kinda bad and is darker than normal. I was thinking about getting it flushed with income tax... but many people have told me that it would do more harm than good.

So, What's everyones opinions on this? Flush? Not flush? What should I do? I wanna maximize the life of 300, and I know the most common reasons these cars are off the road is because of tranny problems!

#45 ·
The only thing that made me think of this was my crazy brother-in-law and his boneyard over in East Saint Louis. Back when I worked with him there, we used to just spill fluids wherever/whenever. But now he does something like this to recover the fluids and sell them to the recyclers. Just one more way to make a profit from junk!

What surprises me is that anyone would actually run down the highway with one of these "Holy" pans. Disaster in motion!

#46 · (Edited)
like i said i dont see why they would drain it then put more fluid in it or even drain it partially, believe me i know how strict california laws are but every single plug i pulled at the yard had quite a lot of fluid in them, all ranging in colors and textures, the one i ended up taking was cherry red and drained about total 8 quarts (i brought a pan and a few large containers) knowing the transmissions had fluid in them from my previous trip to another yard of the same company.... unless for some strange reason like i said before someone, drained the pan installed the plug then refilled with the same fluid.... and thats a 100% waste of time for a yard to do...

but i guess it has to be from the yard, ill ask em next time im in, and it holds up just fine it dosnt tear when pulling out, sits very firm, and has never leaked at all, i dont see how it could be a disaster in motion.

#48 · (Edited)
Yep. I have to assume they put threads on the oil pan and the engine plugs for a reason. It would stand to reason as well that if there was a transmission plug in the pan, it should be threaded as well. For the record, there are AFAIK, not many domestic vehicles since the 1960's that are factory built with a drain plug in the trans pan. LH cars 1993 - 2004 included.

EDIT: BTW, the reason the pans seem to be full of juice after the pan was spiked and plugged is because the torque converter tends to drain slowly and if the yard just blew a hole in the pan then plugged it when the fluid stopped flowing, you could get a large amount of fluid to drain out of the converter afterwards.

#50 ·
Just gonna do what people have said, drain the pain, clean it, change filter, and gasket, replace with fresh fluid.

This is a funny thread!

Why is it funny? Because I am asking a question so I don't screw my car up? or because I have a really hard time wording my post and make myself seem like a complete and total oblivious idiot? Laugh all ya want mate, I'm just not gonna screw my car up. Asking what may seem like "Stupid" questions to you may not seem stupid to me. How I got through college.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.