DodgeIntrepid.Net Forums banner

Experimenting

455 views 5 replies 4 participants last post by  CDN R/T 
#1 ·
So, I've been fiddling around with plastics and colours(or lack of(I worked in an injection molding plant for a year)) and after a few months of playing around after work, I am around 1/2 way finished my clear lense project. I know what you're all thinking; "Clear lenses? I can clear my corners by myself" or "Clear tails? I smell rice" Ok, so you can clear out your front corners; but has anyone seen clear tails for a 98+ Trep?
I've made clear tails for my cousins 94 Trep, but I only modified an existing setup, this however is the 1st time making them myself. Like I said, I'm about 1/2 way done my demo model. I still need to figure out what types of plastics to use, as the ones I've tried havn't stood up to much stress. There is alot more to making clear tails than I thought. Also, to make them street legal, I need to have some red reflectors in place.

Sorry if I'm getting you high just to let you down, but I wont be posting any pics or how-to's untill I have a final model(fear of someone stealing my idea I guess :p) and there are still alot of little things to figure out. What I will say though is that as of now, I've made clear, red, and blue lenses.

If anyone has any questions or ideas, just PM me or add a comment. Feedback is greatly appreciated, good or bad.

See less See more
#3 ·
What types of plastic have you tried so far ? I'll have a look at mine later, but usually the type of polymer is marked on the product. I keep thinking TPO but I'm not sure. Are you intending to injection mould these ? I'm a tool-maker by trade, I'll try to help where I can. But... us Inferno owners have beautifully matched body coloured tails :) So I don't intend to go clear myself.

#4 ·
Well CDN, I do plan to inject-moild these to a point, as of right now Im using a vaccum to set the moulds. Yes, the stock tails do match nicely with your body colour, the red ones I've made up are a clear red...I dunno if ya know what I mean, but yea :p
The only reason I even attempted to make these is cause all the aftermarket companies are whores :p If your car isn't a tuner, they dont give 2 shits about ya.

#5 ·
Have you checked inside a intrepid light to see what the interior is like. On the 02+ 300M's is as a polished chrome finish, perfect for transparent lenses. On the 99-00 insides they are a gray flat, poor quality paint job, were only (I call them dimpled) lenses would look ok.

#6 ·
02R/T said:
all the aftermarket companies are whores :p If your car isn't a tuner, they dont give 2 shits about ya.
It's all about volumes...

I don't see a mat'l marking on the lens just the date wheel, SAE #, 98LH, blah-blah.

I used to work with Decoma (exterior systems), they make lenses (among a jillion other things). I'll try to give a buddy a shout'n see what they're using.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.