DodgeIntrepid.Net Forums banner

Another 4.0 stroker is born!

107K views 588 replies 53 participants last post by  JJerrell 
#1 ·
Today I picked up my newly machined 4.0 crank from the machine shop after having the mains turned. Shot a couple quick pics of the bottom end going together. Ended up with .008" end play which I was happy with, and no tight spots when spinning the crank. Using mock up bearings to test fit everything then assembling with new sealed power bearings for the final bolt down. Not quite as pretty yet as Dmondeac's but I'm a few months behind his build. Needless to say I'm a happy man!

See less See more
#11 ·
holy geez....two 4.0L storkers?!

And what Scooter said....man, if we had access to the PCM the things we could make this car do....and a good tranny that could handle all the power. lol

#15 ·
I've been talking to a guy from Vitesse Racing who is a distributor of Perfect Power products. They build a piggyback unit that I'm told will work with our PCM's to modify the inputs so that you can vary fuel and spark and other sensors. The only review of one so far is on a 3.3 equipped minivan (which they claimed worked well) but if I give it a try I'll be posting the results. The piggyback unit has only 6 wires to splice to the pcm harness and is variable/adjustable so you can set up and monitor the inputs through a laptop connection to the DRB.

#12 ·
I have a question about case depth/hardness on the journals.
My company makes Turbos. For durability purposes, on the turbine wheel shaft we harden the diameter so that after final grinding we have a specific hardness and case depth.

By removing so much material from the mains, are you concerned you may have ground off the harness band from the original manufacturing process? By chance did you have the hardness tested before or after the machine shop work ?

#14 ·
Good question. I did not. It is my understanding that forged steel cranks are not hardened on any of the journals as the original material is supportive enough. I think in the old days they did harden cast craks since the journals were more malleable, but metallurgy has kept pace with technology and some of the new alloys are far superior to what we had 20 or 30 years ago. In turbos you are dealing with much higher heat, much higher rpm's than a crankshaft sees, so I could understand hardening it. If I'm wrong, I'll be the first to post pics of spun bearings or hacked up mains.

#17 ·
I'll have to check them out. I'm a newbie when it comes to working on computer controlled stuff, I grew up working on 383's and 440's with points or electronic ignition. So I'm trying to self educate on the computer controls and sensor functions and the modifications.

#23 ·
So now I know why 3.5 pistons won't work with this stroker combo. If you look closely you will see the top ring land is out of the top of the block. This is one of the old stock 3.5 pistons for a test fit. The pin height and or compression height of the 4.0 pistons must adjust for this. I was toying with the idea of using domed first gen 3.5 pistons to get even more compression but I see that won't be necessary and won't work anyway. 4.0 pistons and rods have been ordered. Stay tuned for the next installment.

#33 ·
Now that there's a right fine idea. I may do just that and clay up the piston top and see what kind of piston to head and piston to valve clearance it arrives at. Maybe I can break the 12:1 ratio mark without breaking valves or ring lands! Of course i'll never be able to get fuel for it but hey, there's always that 8 dollar crap thats supposed to run nitro dragsters and such. Says so right on the bottle.:hit1:

#30 ·
Giggle giggle, I could not have said it better, come on jump in there, maybe you can beat all us to the "got it running" finish
I thought you already fired yours up??

#575 ·
Hey dmondeac, im new to this forum. But I own an lh of my own. A 2003 chrysler 300m special. Now I have a power goal of 300. Would this be possible using the same block and some bolt ons. I jave a bidget of 1 grand. Im truely trying to seek out all my options. I want a dual C.A.I.. Any ideas? Any discussions worthy of talking about?
(I just got my ass handed to me by a bonne ssei, so im looking up to some worthy revenge)

#35 ·
Just got an email from the parts supplier, the 4.0 pistons and rods have been superseded by a new part number and have doubled in price. Gonna cost me another 300 bucks if i still want them. Some days, i tell ya it sure doesn't pay to open the inbox.

#39 ·
I'm sitting here trying to figure out if it would be cheaper to try to find a short block in the junkyard than to order them. The price went from $57 apiece to $100 when the part number changed.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.