DodgeIntrepid.Net Forums banner

Recommend OBD-I Diag. Scanner?

16K views 8 replies 4 participants last post by  pt500 
#1 ·
Can anyone recommend an OBD-I diagnostic scanner for under $300 that I can buy new that will work with the six-pin blue LH plug on my 1994 Intrepid? I am obviously looking for one that can give me more more information than I can get from reading the codes via the flashing dash light and looking the numbers up in the table. Like real time data from the sensors.

The only new one I've found so far that definitely has an adapter cable for the square blue six-pin LH OBD-I connector is the Actron CP9190, but the on-line manual is unclear what it can do for Chrysler OBD-I.

Or is there computer software that will work with an adapter cable? Software like this I've seen for sale seems to to only be for OBD-II.

If any scanners like this are available, can they also give any information on the anti-lock brake system or the transmission, or that only DRB-II territory?

I've seen used Snap-On MT2500s? on ebay, but I can't tell from the brief descriptions if they will plug into the LH connector, or even what they can do for Chrysler OBD-I. I've searched for the old Snap-On manuals on-line with no luck.

See less See more
#3 · (Edited)
Snap On MT2500

Thanks. I found you can pick up a used Snap-On MT2500 scanner kit or individual scanner parts to use on a OBD-I 1st Gen Intrepid (1993-1995) on ebay from high-rated, reputable Snap-On specialty vendors there for around $260-$300. It is really the way to go for these cars. What I found is that minimum components you need for a first generation Intrepid are these:

1. The main MT2500 main body unit and the data cable (they call it "the brick"). Version 1.8 is O.K., but version 2.2 has a back lit screen which is easier to read. It takes a 9V battery. You don't need the MT2500 battery or cigarette lighter power cable for the pre-1996 1st Gen blue LH connector (nor for the 1996 and later MT2500 OBD-II connector). Just get a couple of regular 9V NiMH consumer-type rechargeable batteries and a 9V charger (Amazon has them - e.g. Ray-0-Vac "pre-charged" high capacity NiMH 9V is good.)

2. The CHRY-2 6 pin blue connector (p/n MT2500-31). In addition to this connector, if you want to also be able to get generic domestic OBD-II codes for 1996 and later cars you will need the ~$40 used OBD-II connector also (p/n MT2500-46 or 46A [just a later model of same]), and the small ~$20 K-2A "personality key" card that plugs into it. Specifically, just for the post-1995 OBD-II Intrepids, according to the manuals you would use this OBD-II connector and either ~$10 personality keys K-8 or K-13 (both are listed in different manuals for this application, so I'd just get both ). I believe using these keys gives more info that the generic OBD-II data using personality key K-2A.

3. The Domestic Primary Cartridge for 1998 or 1999 that plugs into the main body. I read in a post on a Jeep forum that earlier year cartridges than this may not be able to pull the Chrysler ABS and transmission codes, only engine codes. The engine codes are obtainable without a scanner just by doing the "key dance" on the 1st Gen Intrepids and counting dashboard light flashes. Be aware that if you have a 1993, 1994 or 1995 Intrepid, you want to get the 1998 or 1999 plain Domestic Primary Cartridge (labeled "thru 1998" or "thru 1999"), NOT the 1996-2000 Domestic Primary Cartridge cartridge, which is so labeled. They are different cartridges. If you get a Domestic Primary Cartridge labeled either "thru 1994," "thru 1995," "thru 1996," or "thru 1997," like the Jeep forum poster wrote it may not be able to do the ABS or trans codes (which wouldn't be much better than just pulling engine codes with the key dance, other than having the Troubleshooter Cartridge Tips displayed for the codes). I'm not I certain on this, just going by the Jeep forum post, if anyone else knows for sure please post.

4. The Domestic Troubleshooter Cartridge for the year primary cartridge that you get (1998 or 1999). This gives a lot of on-screen repair guidance for the codes. There are also specialty ABS, Transmission, and possibly air-bag Troubleshooter Domestic cartridges available (also labeled by year) that give repair guidance for these system codes. You can search on ebay for Domestic + Troubleshooter + Transmission (or ABS, brake, etc.) These other cartridges are good to have too if you can find them, but will probably be around $30-$40 each additional to the main kit cost.

5. MT2500 Domestic Primary User's Manual, first or second edition 2001 or 2002. Small ~500 page book.

6. MT2500 Chrysler Reference Manual, Ninth edition (1998) or later edition. Small ~200 page book.

7. Fast Track Troubleshooter Reference Manual, 1998 or later edition. Large (8-1/2" x 11") ~500 page book.

There are a few highly rated ebay vendors that specialize in used MT2500 parts and manuals. The ones have purchased from are "sisi2424" and "Texasize Deal," and there are a few others. I'd only order from these who are listed as "top rated" sellers (with the little gold shield icon.

Be aware that if you have a 1996 or later Intrepid, I believe that you can buy various new OBD-II scanners for around ~$250 that can pull all the codes and also look at some sensor data, just like the MT2500 can. It is just the 1993-1995 Intrepids, where good used OBD-I scanners are are hard to come by anymore, other than the MT2500 - especially if you want to get ABS and transmission codes in addition to the engine codes & engine sensor data. In addition, I believe the MT2500 can also cycle the ABS system for bleeding and may be able to give the transmission Clutch Volume Index (CVI) readings and maybe other trans info. I don't know if newer scanners can do either of these latter things on the OBD-II cars.

You can also find MT2500 manuals in pdf format archived on the Net in various places if you go through all the Google matches for MT2500 + manual or pdf. But buying all the specialty manuals listed above gets you much more info that what I found on-line.

For an introduction, here's a link to a 37 page European version of a basic MT2500 manual in English:
http://www.w124performance.com/docs/general/Snap-On/manuals/MT2500_Users_Manual(Euro).pdf

Some of the manuals also seem to be "hidden" on the Snap On sites (snapon.com buy1.snapon.com), i.e. no direct links going thorough the website page links, but regular Google Net searches or Googling on just those sites for the manuals can turn them up - searching for MT2500 or adding other terms like manual, pdf, or Chrysler. You just have to search through a number of pages of the Google results. Or for more general info, just to a regular Google Snap-On MT2500 + other search terms and there are thousands of pages of info and forum discussions on using the MT2500.

For example, here is a link to the "Chrysler Operations" chapter of one of th MT2500 manuals that I found by Googling:

http://buy1.snapon.com/products/dia...CS(EAZ0025B01CRevB)/06 ChryslerOperations.pdf

#4 ·
I'm thinking there are one or two Actron or Innova scanner kits with multiple cables for OBD-I for around $225 new. However Snap-On is a well known and very reputable brand. Good detailed information that you provided for someone wanting to purchase that equipment.

#5 ·
#6 ·
MT2500 basic ops manual

The following link is also on the Snap-On Manuals page. It covers the basic power on, boot up menu, etc. for the MT2500. The previously posted Domestic and Asian Vehicle Communication Software Manuals then cover operations for those specific cars. Some of the other manuals on the main manuals page are for the newer Snap-On Modis, Solus, and Vantage scanners. I'm not sure why they are mixed together like this. The Snap-On website makes it hard to find the manuals directly, which is odd.

"MT2500 Scanner"
http://buy1.snapon.com/products/diagnostics/downloads/manuals/mt2500_scanner.asp

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.