DodgeIntrepid.Net Forums banner

Intrepid no compression

1K views 2 replies 2 participants last post by  Oh Why 
#1 · (Edited)
99 Dodge Intrepid 2.7. I just replaced the Timing Chain, all my marks are spot on, the engine rotated flawlessly by hand.

My problem is, I have no compression on any cylinder... Now I do have the whole top end disassembled "timing cover, valve cover, plenum, pulleys, belts". I should still be getting compression though, right? Only thing I could think of would be its on the exhaust stroke & not the intake stroke and/or the heads are bad. I don't see that as it ran perfectly fine & I'm just replacing, not repairing. This is a 4 stroke motor correct? Intake stroke, firing stroke, down, exhaust stroke (something along those lines) right? Can these things be 180 degrees off, making it fire on the exhaust stroke? Is that possible?

Thanks in advance for any information regarding this issue!

#2 ·
You posted this in the wrong section, so it won't be seen as quickly by other members.
Look for the thread for second generation Intrepids.

Did you replace the timing chain as maintenance, or did it fail and jump time?

These engines are interference motors, so if it failed while driving, it likely has other issues.

#3 ·
Oh, thought I was in second Gen. I must have misclicked, sorry.

Replaced for Maintenance. Thats why I'm at a lose here. I'm not sure if these can be timed 180 off and not interfere. If so, I was thinking its on the exhaust stroke when it should be on the compression stroke. Idk if that's possible on these motors though.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.