DodgeIntrepid.Net Forums banner

Swaybar Replacement (Third Party Brand)

2K views 16 replies 6 participants last post by  BatCaveTrep 
#1 ·
I have no plans to go to a yard in hopes of finding, so Internet purchase is fine with me. I know that 300m Special and Trep Police rear swaybars are hard to come by, but I was wondering if anyone has used a third party like Addco.

#5 ·
I'll bet those both are standard sized sway bars with a jacked up price.

#6 ·
In all honestly, I believe I may have the only sway bar ever aftermarketly-made for the LH on my car. A company originally called Quickor made if for a member ACR. If I recall correctly they had it listed and he paid for it but they came to him and said hey, we don't have it so we can either refund it or you can wait til we make a beefier copy of the stock rear bar. ACR waited I guess. I did hear through the grape vine several other were made but never heard from anyone who has them. This is of course all First Gen stuff.

However I can through a group buy get a contact to get some sway bars made. Otherwise from that I know of no 1g or 2g sway bars front or rear that are made by a third party.

#9 ·
In all honestly, I believe I may have the only sway bar ever aftermarketly-made for the LH on my car.
Addco says they make them for LH cars. :p
However I can through a group buy get a contact to get some sway bars made. Otherwise from that I know of no 1g or 2g sway bars front or rear that are made by a third party.
Could you check with your contact and see what the charge would be. I am sure there are some people who would jump on this. I just do not have the time it requires to drive to a yard, look in hopes of a Special and then pull both bars.

Glad you put "expert" in quotes. :) Sway bars work in spring *torsion*, not tension. And a given design sway bar won't be stiffer just by being cold forged.

Cold forging (AKA cold-forming, AKA cold-working) increases the yield strength (the force at which it permanently deforms, i.e., doesn't spring back to its original shape) and, with certain alloys, tensile strength (the force at which it breaks).

That allows larger diameters to be used than if you didn't cold form them. You do not gain spring rate (for the same dimensions) just by cold working, but if you take advantage of the greater yield strengh (from cold working) by making it in a larger diameter than you could use (without cold working), you do gain spring rate (stiffness). Larger diameters = higher spring rate (by a square law). So he isn't exactly right when he says "if the sway bar is cold forged, it will have greater spring tension, thus control it better".
Thanks for the details. Any idea what the size is; .625, .750, .875? Their "catalog" says they only make the rear bar and it is 3/4, which I believe is same as the non-Special/Police bars. There will be more questions to come relating to the end links.

#8 · (Edited)
Glad you put "expert" in quotes. :) Sway bars work in spring *torsion*, not tension. And a given design sway bar won't be stiffer just by being cold forged.

Cold forging (AKA cold-forming, AKA cold-working) increases the yield strength (the force at which it permanently deforms, i.e., doesn't spring back to its original shape) and, with certain alloys, tensile strength (the force at which it breaks).

That allows larger diameters to be used than if you didn't cold form them. You do not gain spring rate (for the same dimensions) just by cold working, but if you take advantage of the greater yield strengh (from cold working) by making it in a larger diameter than you could use (without cold working), you do gain spring rate (stiffness). Larger diameters = higher spring rate (by a square law). So he isn't exactly right when he says "if the sway bar is cold forged, it will have greater spring tension, thus control it better".

#12 ·
So I have located some different rear sway bars, but am getting conflicting info. I have read multiple posts, but have not found a definitive answer. I think it should be an FAQ. What is the size of the Special's rear sway bar? I know the front is 1 1/16 inch, but am finding answers of 1 1/16, 5/8 (10/16), 3/4 (12/16), 13/16, and some in millimeters. One email response says the rear is 1 1/16 for 2002 Special and another said 5/8 for a 2004 Special.

If the swaybar has some rust, how do I go about refinishing it?

#16 ·
A Special rear sway bar should be .875". I measured mine earlier to confirm it. 2002 Special.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.