DodgeIntrepid.Net Forums banner

New Issue with the Front End - Need help/advice!

2K views 7 replies 5 participants last post by  1993 EagleVision 
#1 ·
Hey all,

Been a huge fan of this forum for a while! You guys have been awesome at helping me out keep my 97 trep running!!!

Anyways, I'm hoping that y'all can help me out again! I recently had the struts replaced on my trep after one blew out on the last turn into work - $800.00 fix, and the mechanic tells me that he thinks he hears brake rub when driving now - but given that I was already paying so damn much in strut repair (something that I cannot do myself) and I needed to get the car back so I wouldn't have to take any time off of work - I told him that I would have them check it out at a later date.

But here's the kicker - It doesn't sound like the brake rubbing at all! I replaced the pads, and the rotor - and still get the sound - it sounds more like a thumping coming from the wheel somewhere. But it is the worst when curving to the left, or going around a left hand curve - when the wheels get turned slightly to the right - then it quiets down. There is no sign of any rubbing/grinding on the rotor or the pads.

I put the car up on jacks - and tried to simulate the sound - but I couldn't' get the sound to duplicate - it seems to only happen when there is pressure on the tire - like pressure from the car sitting on it and driving.

Could that be a sign of a bad shock perhaps? The strut is brand new - so what could be making a thumping/rubbing sound while driving - yet being bad when the wheels are going towards the left, yet going away when the wheels are curving to the right?

Thanks!

See less See more
#2 · (Edited)
Check the sub-frame support bushings and the sway bar bushings and links. Axles usually click but look for a damaged boot anyway while your checking it they can tear or get damaged during strut service. You should check all the bushings and steering and suspension components while you have it up. Did the tire fold up on you?

#3 ·
No - the tire hasn't folded up or anything like that... Just a light thump that vibrates the car when pushing 70mph. I also forgot to add that my wheel hub has one stud missing - thing sheared off a while ago - so maybe that has something to do with it?

Thanks,

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.