DodgeIntrepid.Net Forums banner

3.2 L Timing belt opinions

2K views 9 replies 7 participants last post by  yiranhu 
#1 ·
I haven't posted on here in while, but I have been prowling the forums more lately:)

Anyway I was wanting an opinion on when to change the timing belt and water pump on my 2001 ES.

My 2001 ES now has 62K on the clock, with I'll dare say nearly flawless service.

So now to the opinions, I was trying to decide if I should embark on this service now, or wait untill I hit 75K.

I peeked at the belt a few months ago, and it looks good still. I know with my 1st gen a timing belt failure usually will not harm the engine. (thats happened twice to me).

If a failure happens on the 2nd gen are you more likely to bend valves?

I appriciate the input.

#3 ·
Change the belt, it really isn't very hard. I changed the belt on mine in a couple of hours. It looks scary but once you remove the upper radiator brace there is a lot of room to work with.

Replacing the thermostat was more challenging. The t-stat is in a completely retarded location on these cars.

#4 ·
Both 1G and 2G LH engines are interference - damage can likely occur if the timing belt goes and you're out on the freeway...

While you don't meet the recommended mileage (105K for TB), you do exceed the 'time' factor that is also referenced (FSM?) - I believe it to be 84 months?

While it's probably not critical that you get the timing belt changed immediately, I would definitely plan on doing it soon. Of course, you'll want to do the water pump and probably the timing belt tensioner pulley.

Other items to think about at your mileage - trans fluid & filter and differential oil change.

#7 ·
You bought an 01 ES with 14K on it in 2006??? Whoa!

I would definitely plan on doing it this year. If it were me, I'd watch the forecast for a weekend with nice weather and just get 'er done. Perhaps keep your eyes open now for coupons/discounts for the parts.

I don't have any info on TB failures due to just being old... but too many miles will definitely put you at risk (which you are a ways away from).

#8 ·
i recently had my timing belt/water pump do to its age ( was just barely over half the mileage as far as the mileage interval goes). the time limit is 7 years. it is worth the peice of mind knowing that you dont a have a rubber belt thats as old has the car keeping the crankshaft and camshafts in time.

#10 ·
Just do it for the peace of mind. It's not that expensive... Even if you change all the drive belts and pulleys, it's still like 160 for the parts from rockauto.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.