DodgeIntrepid.Net Forums banner

Anybody using 4.0L cams?

2K views 12 replies 5 participants last post by  TCPMeta 
#1 ·
Was just wondering if anybody was using the OEM 4.0 liter cams in a 3.5? Any check engine light or drivability problems? I know the cam gear is different.

#2 ·
Bump

#7 ·
Tricky answer, the 3.5 cams have 238 degrees of duration and .337lift on the intake with 252 degrees of duration and .257lift on the exhaust side. The 4.0 cams have 244 degrees on the intake with 354 lift, the exhaust has 262 degrees of duration with .275 lift . So with that if you have 3.89 gears and other bolt-on items it would run better. How much better depends. If you have to replace the cams anyway I would use the 4.0 cams. Personally ,I'm getting ready to rebuild a 3.5 and I will be using 4.0 cams, .030 pistons, 3.89 gears and with a larger TB, nothing to radical.

#9 ·
I was under the impression that where the gear pressed onto the shaft it was different? Like a "D" shaped shaft as opposed to a keyway? The motor I'm building will be an '04 3.5 out of an SXT. It will be running 2.7 tranny gears, an '03-'04 Special PCM, a V3 intake spacer and max-bore bored throttle body.

#10 ·
Anybody have the part numbers for the 4.0 cams?

#12 ·
Awesome! Thanks, Peva! The price on those cams has gone up pretty dramatically.

#13 ·
I had the 4.0L cams in my 02 trep. Didn't notice much in gain. However on a trip to Daytona with Intrep_Ed the car didn't like to hit 80MPH. I thought it was some other gremlins with the car but a couple of peeps at the Daytona meet said it could be the cams.

I wished I had a chance to dyno the car but never got a chance from when the stupid timing belt snapped prematurely. So if yo do toss in 4.0 cams I would get it on a dyno.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.