DodgeIntrepid.Net Forums banner

3.2 Twin turbo

15K views 35 replies 17 participants last post by  DjGreggieP 
#1 ·
Has anyone tried a twin turbo set up in a 2000 Intrepid with a 3.2? What would it take to do one?

#4 ·
you're looking at $500 plus just for the air/fuel cal, which hasn't been done much. then you're looking at all the turbo work obviously, custom headers, custom intake. If you've got a ton of cash and a ton og time and can do the fab work: go for it!! You can be the first. Gonna need to look into strengthening the trans too, IIRC the only other semi successful turbo project got mothballed when he grenaded the transmission.

#11 ·
That's is frustrating to read; when has it ever been an investment to modify a vehicle cosmetically or performence wise. Everyone knows it's a money pit that NEVER turns a profit, let alone break even. It's the challenge of the project and the fun of the process to the finished goods. :D

I've turbo'd a few cars in the day. Our's require the extra time though since there really isn't no "off the shelf" kit to bolt on. Our PCM's pose the biggest barrier since they are not unlocked, so you're looking at an independent fuel system. Aside from that the rest is some fab work, you'll need too modify or custom build manifolds and the tubing to feed everything. Rest is parts and labor arranging things and bolting them on.

The part that gets me is, everyone is quick to put down these transmissions. But at the same time, no one *has* turbo'd one so who's to say it will sh!t the bed or work just fine? Anyone that has made attempts and failed, a lot of variables could have contributed to their success or downfall. So budgeting to rebuild the transmission with OEM or better-than OEM parts can go a long ways in this regard. Properly tunning the system to ease on the transmission can go a long ways too.

Lest we forget, they did make twin turbo kits for the Prowlers, which had the same 3.5L engine and 42LE transmissions as our cars, with the exception of final drive gear differences and PCM programming.

#13 ·
Thought it was the same transmission in the prowlers. Only difference being an adapter plate on the front of the bellhousing to accept a driveshaft or torque tube..whatever it's called.

#14 · (Edited)
I'm not trying to start a war, but based on information I've read in multiple sources, that's incorrect. The engine and transmission are identical to what's used on the LH models. Ronbo, you're correct. I know from personal experience, been under more than one Prowler in my time.

he Prowler featured a powertrain lifted from Chrysler's LH-cars, a 3.5 L Chrysler SOHC V6 engine 24v producing 214 hp (160 kW; 217 PS) at 5850 rpm. For the 1999 model year the engine was replaced with a more powerful 253 hp (189 kW; 257 PS) at 6400 rpm version of the engine. Both engines were coupled to a 4-speed Autostick automatic transmission. The transmission was located at the rear of the vehicle and joined to the engine by a flexible driveshaft that rotated at engine speed, an arrangement similar to that used by the C5 Corvette, Porsche 944 and Alfa Romeo 75, and helped to facilitate a desirable 50-50 front-rear weight distribution.
A606/42LE

The 42LE was an upgraded version of the 41TE modified for longitudinal engines. It debuted in 1993 on the LH cars. It is strengthened with a reworked final drive unit, barreled axle shafts, and upgraded clutch packs. The major modification to a N-S drivetrain while maintaining front wheel drive was accomplished by adding a differential to the transmission case, which was driven by means of a transfer chain from the output shaft of the low/reverse clutch assembly at the rear of the transmission case.

Applications:

42LE
1999-2004 Chrysler 300M
1993-2004 Chrysler Concorde
1994-2001 Chrysler LHS
2001-2002 Chrysler Prowler
1994-1996 Chrysler New Yorker
1993-2004 Dodge Intrepid
1993-1997 Eagle Vision
1997-2001 Plymouth Prowler

#15 ·
This is always some thing I wanted to look in to! My dad was a transmission mechanic for about 40 years so I think if I got the books and tools required he would build it for me! I would think it would need to be refreshened al the very least I have 205000 miles on it! What about a single turbo or even a super charger! I just think it would be cool making a sleeper out of an Intrepid no one would expect that!

#16 · (Edited)
I think any Intrepid with a 3.5HO with the 2.7L final drive gearing in the transmission, with a good intake and exhaust system will surprise the hell out of a lot of people. Know this, no naturally or turbo aspirated ricer has beaten me - destroyed a Skyline R32 few weeks ago from one light to the other on a dead night. :p

There is another alternative if someone didn't want to go into the fabrication for twin turbo or couldn't track down a Prowler turbo kit... The turbo/supercharger kits available for the LX platform (Magnum, Charger etc.). After all, with the exception of a new intake manifold and accessory arrangement they are the same 3.5 motors. The kit costs $2000-$5000, lots of them around.

You would have to rig up your own belt system, and it's placement, but it's more easily do-able than anything. You may even have to do a bubble on the hood to compensate for the turbo, think like the bubble on the old eagle talons or mitsu eclipses (Simple work really).

Here are a few pictures in Chargers and Magnums. Generally, I've seen Superchargers, and centrifuge turbo's used.

#18 ·
Here are a few pictures in Chargers and Magnums. Generally, I've seen Superchargers, and centrifuge turbo's used.

Someone was puttering with one of those intakes recently, the hood doesn;t close on them. Damn cab forward cars :D Would have to put a bulge across the whole hood. But yeah, if someone were to try it, probably the best plan. 5K easy investment after dealing with the computer and all the other shenanigans you'd have to get done.

#17 ·
As I said, it can be done, it would just be expensive. 100% of everyone that asks this question has $20 bucks in there pocket and no intention on actually plunking down a few grand to make this happen, nor do they have the skills to do the fab work. Anyone who has the slightest skill or real inclination to do it would start with a project log, not some vague question. No offense to the OP, but any of us who've been on the forum have seen the question asked a million times, and no one that does ever has any skills to actually do it. Maybe we're just dis-illusioned.

Someone should do it, just to see. All I ever see is idle talk or some kid who thinks it can be done for $200 bucks with a bolt on kit like his Honda friends. But if I were going to drop five grand on an Intrepid build up it would NOT be on a turbo, it would be on a rear wheel drive/Hemi conversion. That's where the action is. Then Supercharge THAT. Make it like Ma Mopar would have.

#20 ·
beeblebrox82... Will you marry me? Now you're talking, a buddy of mine has a 426 Hemi literally SITTING in the corner of the garage. Spent many nights looking at it, dreaming, engineering how I would put it to use in my Intrepid Project. :p

Mopar or no car.

But no, I totally agree. I remember back when, I Google'd turbo Intrepid to see if someone did it, or if kits exist etc (amusingly how I encountered a lot of these LH forums). Lots of threads with comments like "forget it", "more than it's worth" etc. At the same time, no one is ever serious enough to do anything, thinks it's like bolting on a eBay coldair intake - you and I both know it's anything far from that. Especially when you start running up against issues where your PCM/ECU is rendered useless and your using aftermarket systems.

#25 ·
I floor my high mileage 3.5 HO with 2.7L gearing all the time, roasts the tires. Tranny works fine with the exception of my mounts being wore out.

You can buy kevlar clutches, etc. If you check out the general section under second generation, there is a large debate over whether to rebuild OEM or better than OEM etc.

#27 ·
Sigh I never implied I was "fast", you don't need to be fast, have a turbo, or a Hemi to spin tires. Torque is all that's needed, and with a 3.5 with the difference in gearing, she'll more then easily spin the tires. Put on some hard rubber kicks and give it a good jab and she'll clean them to the cords - hell yank the e-break if you want to go to go to town standing still. Considering friends with brand new 2010 $80k GM's with V8's can barely get the tires to chirp, I think us LH boy's are doing pretty damn good!

Frankly, I don't understand your ground for debate. I'm simply contesting the previous comment, just because one SE sh!t's the bed when it's floored doesn't hold up much against all of them, given the excessive "abuse" mine is always put under. Given he did imply that all of them would do the same as his friends. If the difference in experience teaches nothing, it's a crap shoot!

Who is not to say with the right circumstances can you make the (or any) tranny handle the needs - that's been my grounds the entire time I've posted on this thread. I realize these tranny's weren't designed to be bolted up to a 440 Hemi and launched off the standing up on it's rear wheels; but the amount of flack they get is ridiculous, problematic or not.

In any event, if I was going to do a huge build up, like you've mentioned many ways too do it. Personally, I'd stroker a 3.5 to a 4.0, set it up just right and twin turbo it to handle 12-15 PSI, which is a nice light but good range. Snag that LX read-end and RWD tranny out of the vandalized Charger at the yard for peanuts and have myself some fun!

That said, I know a few prowler guys that push 12PSI on their prowlers, no issues. But they have a spare 42LE waiting, given the amount of 2.7 failures, parts are easy to come by. It's a matter of how you drive it after the fact I suppose. Even a $500,000 dragster will fly all to hell just warming up the tires, or going down the 1/4 once.... Seen it many times! :p

So with everything said, who's gonna drop one of these in a LH or LX first?

#29 ·
Oh I didn't mean to doubt that you can spin your tires. I can easily break mine loose with what I've done with my 3.2 if I want. My references to your claims about the car's speed are mostly about this.

"Know this, no naturally or turbo aspirated ricer has beaten me - destroyed a Skyline R32 few weeks ago from one light to the other on a dead night."

That statement is full of itself. A 300M special is a 3.5HO with the 3.89 gears, which rolls off the line with a 7.4 second 0-60 time.
source (which has been confimed over the years to be quite reliable): http://www.albeedigital.com/supercoupe/articles/0-60_Quarter_Mile_Times/C_0-60times.html

That same site didn't have the R32, but anywhere I looked referenced ~5.6 seconds for the 0-60 time. I'm not saying that your story didn't happen, but it's only true if his car was in very bad shape or he wasn't trying. The facts just aren't on the side of the story.

Also my debate on the transmission is contesting your specific point of "no one *has* turbo'd one so who's to say it will sh!t the bed or work just fine?" Yes, someone has done it and yes it did **** the bed. I've been around here since those days and remember watching build threads and videos of his car. It was pretty sweet, but just didn't hold up that long and the guy dropped out because the tranny was too much of a roadblock for him. That doesn't mean it can't be done, but your statement of no one has tried is inaccurate.

I am all for attempting a beefy version of our transmission and out there projects. I have a spare 42LE in my garage and a bare 3.5 block that I'm going to stroke some day, along with a spare set of heads that I'll have done up to go along with it. I also fully plan on getting into welding and building my own headers as a learning experience (I already do non welding metal work for my job). I don't mean to go against the spirit of your posts, that it all could be done, but the individual statements didn't line up.

Also as someone that's been around a long time I've seen this song and dance before. All the old timers tend to get pretty jaded. At least once every few months these kinds of dream threads pop up and it's never really a matter of what's possible, it's "are you ballsy enough to go for it" and actually have the capability to pull off such a custom project.

#30 · (Edited)
By the way, this is the guy that did it for real.
http://www.dodgeintrepid.net/member.php?u=720

Unfortunately he kept a ton of his stuff on his own website that is no longer hosted. I do still have a dyno and burnout video of his car saved on a hard drive somewhere. I'll find it and upload it just for fun.

Alright, I dug them up and put them on my photobucket. Not the highest quality videos, but definitely the real deal.

#32 ·
I hear you buddy, and respect your thoughts and comments completely.

Well now we seen someone that's done it we (at least I,) know for sure it's been done once. Just as I responded before, he's the only guy to get so far and he only did use one transmission (?). We cannot say for sure if his transmission was one of those lemon's just barely making it by or if it was just fine. Car's are a crapshoot, some last forever, some struck with issues all the time, which isn't unreasonable.

As for the Skyline, t'was no fairy tale. Boy's from the age they can drive to their thirties and up prowl around the town at night with their car to find some entertainment from one green light to the next when the roads are empty. It was just a basic inline six, no turbo. Wrecked him off the line and to the line. Only car's that get me are the turbo ones, buy you'll get them off the line everytime lol.

I see the kid all the time, he's always asking how the Trep is, and than we start doing Fast and Furious quotes... lol

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.