DodgeIntrepid.Net Forums banner

Custom exhaust v3.0 (2.7)

1K views 4 replies 4 participants last post by  MrBigE 
#1 ·
So, some of you may have seen the rediculous work I did to my '99 2.7. The magnum/charger manifolds are working great. The car pulls hard through the mid-range. The muffler I made was a huge fail. Way too large for the engine. So, I replaced it with an H-pipe. But, dual 2 1/4 exhaust is still way too large for the 2.7. Had horrible resonance at only 2,400 rpm. My solution was to build these inserts.

1/2" tube and 2" stainless washers cut and turned to swirl the exhaust. In theory, it aids scavenging. The tapered cone at the front is to choke the exhaust slightly since it was so oversized.

Here's the muffler I built that was in it

With the inserts in the H, it is so much quieter. Slight rasp at 4,000 rpm, little deeper sound, and a noticeable increase off the line. For just $10 in tube and washers, I feel it turned out great. Should deffinetly be sized right for the 3.2 I'm swapping in soon.

See less See more
#4 ·
I'll try and get a sound clip here soon. And yeah, it sounds like a mustang... A v6 mustang!

I forgot to mention I put two large mufflers out the back. 26" x 10" walker mufflers. I plan to switch to a dual inlet single outlet with the engine swap. The rasp is now at the mufflers instead of being at the down pipes.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.