DodgeIntrepid.Net Forums banner

MrBigE's 2001 Intrepid ES

8K views 48 replies 19 participants last post by  kmacas 
#1 · (Edited)
Well I've been a member since 2001 but I believe this is my first sig thread. :biggrin:

As you may have read here, I've owned this car twice. Unfortunately, I didn't take a lot of pix from the first time around. At least I have some now!

2001 Dodge Intrepid ES
Black exterior, black interior (Slate? Agate? Don't know the official color. It's BLACK for all intents and purposes!).
* 3.2l engine
* ATC
* RBB radio (changer removed - cubby installed)

Mods:
* Ventshades
* Oil pressure gauge
* Remote Oil Filter/Horn relocation
* Tint
* Backup sensors
* Auto-headlamp switch
* Center console storage interior lighting
* Blue LED adjustable ambient lighting (center console area)
* Niteshaded tails
* Jankety Dodge Ram gas filler door
* 1G illuminated ignition keyring

From original term of ownership:

And summer of 2009 - after its first good cleanup since the re-purchase:

See less See more
#11 · (Edited)
Lighted Keyring

Installed a 1G glowy-keyring this morning - piece of cake:

The harness in the top-left of fuse panel is the EVIC/OTIS harness - easiest way to get access to the courtesy-light circuit so the keyring fades with the dome lights and such.

Bone stock ignition switch

This is the piece that pops right off after the shroud is removed, and the SKIMM module.

And just as easily the 1G piece pops right on

Harness plugged in, SKIMM module back on

Mmmm... SKIMM-y

Here's my homemade harness exiting the dash at the fuse panel. OTIS harness is unplugged

Soldered & taped up - just needs plugged back in. Use the Yellow and Pink (has a stripe).

OTIS harness plugged back into the fusepanel...

And voila.

#12 · (Edited)
Other Misc Mods

Most of these have their own threads elsewhere... but in the spirit of one-stop shopping:

My Copy-Kat 8th Gen Honda Accord ambient illumination (adjustable):

Center Console storage illumination:

Added underhood lighting:

And the oil pressure gauge in the storage cubby:

#17 ·
I believe they are Black Diamond-type... but when I ordered 'em off of eBay last year I don't remember that verbiage being in the description. :dunno:

I believe I paid $140 or so for them, shipped.

In retrospect, had I bribed Doug sufficiently, I probably could still be using my OEM housings - he's a magician with clearing those up! :biggrin:

#18 ·
Ah. I've always liked the look of Black Diamonds, especially on a black exterior. Worth every penny of that $140 in my opinion.

How about some interior shots?

#21 · (Edited)
Visor power project - ******* Bluetooth charger

I love my SP5050 (bluetooth unit for the car), but given its age, the battery isn't holding up as well as I'd like.

The charger is a bit bulky, and since I clip it to my sunvisor facing down, it's not an optimal place from which to charge or run on 12V. I decided to see if I could run some power up into the visor so I could charge/operate when the ignition is on.

At first I thought I might be able to run another pair of 18ga wire through the existing 'pipe' and bracket that holds the visor in place. I didn't want to tear the visor up too badly, and after some exploratory drilling from the inside (removed the glass, etc), determined it was more effort than it was worth for me.

I was able to slide in some wire between the housing and the fabric cover - so I rednecked the install a bit to get the wires up into the visor. See pics below. I also figured out that I needed to also bring the circuitry from the adapter/charger as well, so I again rednecked the installation of that. Basically took the small board and wrapped the whole thing up in electrical tape so nothing shorted out on anything else. :biggrin:

I tapped the OTIS harness again for the switched 12V and ground (different set of wires than I used for the keyring illumination), re-insulated and affixed everything near the fuse panel. Works great!! :whohoo:

Here's the circuit-wad tie-wrapped near the fuse panel. You can see the status LED poking out of the right-side near the top of that wad of tape. You can also see the red and black wire that's tapped into the OTIS harness.

Gaaah the terrible job running a pair of wire from the A-pillar to the visor itself. Git-r-dun! I DID think ahead just a bit though - behind the top of the A-pillar cover is a pair of quick-disconnect lugs so if I need to pull the visor for some reason, I can disconnect this wire as well (similar to how vanity illumination connector is placed).

Backside of the SP5050 - no wires to see here!

Oh looky! There it is peeking out. The SP5050 covers the exit location so you don't see it. This location is right where there's a hole in the inner housing.

And the finished product. I wish the connector wasn't so frickin' big. This thing was made well before micro/mini-usb became very common.

My apologies for the crappy camera-phone pix.

#23 · (Edited)
Late-March updates...

Replaced the ashtray with a digital voltage gauge. I like the ever-fluctuating display.

And today I added some eyebrows to the headlights... just outta nowhere. I'm getting quite impulsive as I get older, it seems... :rofl:

And in this related photo, you can see where I refinished the leading edge of the hood between the headlights - had some massive paint bubbling due to rust. KBS coatings was my product of choice. So far so good!

#24 · (Edited by Moderator)
Late-March updates...

Replaced the ashtray with a digital voltage gauge. I like the ever-fluctuating display.

LOVE IT!!!!!! howd you get it to fit so well. i bought one from harbor freight once but didnt fit well at all and just had lights instead tellin you the actuall voltage. and where did you get it?

#26 ·
nice setup. ill have to go look for one. i dont like shopping at walmart though. lol

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.