DodgeIntrepid.Net Forums banner

Rear speakers replaced - Sounds worse?

4K views 32 replies 10 participants last post by  CaptainMorgan 
#1 ·
I ended up replacing my old 6x9 Rear deck speakers because the factory ones were blown and sounded bad, I replaced them with some HD 6x9s from Walmart because my buddy has them in his car and they sound pretty good, Even a good amount of bass.

anyways, Installed them in my '00 300M, And well, They sound horrible. Hardly any bass, Aren't near as loud as the stock speakers and just general suck. I thought maybe it was the ones I got, so I exchanged them for a new pair - Same problem.

Was wondering if maybe adding different speakers messed up the cars built in amp or something? I made sure all the wires would connected right and tight, To no avail.

Also, Would adding an aftermarket head-unit mess up stock AMP by any chance? Looking for something with more power and an AUX input for my phone.

#4 ·
Also, Would adding an aftermarket head-unit mess up stock AMP by any chance? Looking for something with more power and an AUX input for my phone.
no, it won't mess it up if wired correctly. use adapters for the make and year.
more power will require seperate wiring to the speakers, as you will have to bypass the amp wiring. may also need new speakers capable of handling the new power.

#5 · (Edited)
I already have new speakers in the door and rear deck, That explains why the sound is off. Are the door speaker 20ohm too? Where can you ever get 20ohm 6x9s? o_o

You can also upgrade to the '00 LHS AC amp to wake up the rears
How would one go about doing this? I honestly thought about just bypassing the whole stock amp once I get my new headunit. But someone said it's also part of the cars electrics and can't be bypassed?

EDIT: I was thinking about getting a Line-level to RCA output converter and just run another amp for the back speakers to get the ohm rating right. Would that be okay? Or should I try to get some 20ohm 6x9s?

#7 ·
Wow, I feel like an idiot. I was reading this thread from my phone.. and I thought it said 20 Ohm. My bad!

Anyways. What I have now are 4ohms, No bass response at all, Volume seems to not be as good... and it seems like there is no stereo separation at all.

Are the OEM 6x9s used as woofers, Or what?

#13 ·
Fair enough. Everything I've read pointed to the ohm difference. So what I am gonna do is, Since I cannot find a decent (affordable) pair of 2 ohm 6x9s is I am gonna get s Line output converter and get a small amp to push the 6x9s. Good idea?

#16 ·
The factory amp doesn't play well with 4 ohm speakers.

Also if you have the 9 speaker setup, the rears act like 'subs' since the rear doors have sail speakers. The speakers that I've used with the factory amps are either infinity or kickers that were rated for 2 ohm.

If you buy a high watt speaker its going to sound like garbage because there is not enough power running to them.

For example, my intrepid doesn't have the infinity system so I'm running Alpine type S components and infinity reference out back off of my clarion deck (20w RMS) while they're rated up to 100w RMS. There is no bass in the car, hence i have a 800w 4 channel amp to negate this issue.

Your best bet is to either get 2nd hand speakers out a yard car or find 2 ohm speakers. I've never had issues with the factory 6x9s so not sure why yours went (I replaced the stock 3" and 6.5" multiple times).

Contrary to what people say about aftermarket decks, there will be no issue with the factory amp. The deck will not add any power to the speakers since the amp controls this function. There is one trick with the antenna wire, so be careful when wiring up the harness.

#17 ·
I was thinking about adding an amp to the stock system to power the rear 6x9s since the stock amp cannot do so, and I can't find a pair of 2 ohm 6x9s. And the rear 6x9s where blown completely, They still worked for any sort of bass and they would sound completely muffled and rattle badly. (I pinned it down to the speakers)

Yes, Mine has the 9-speaker system. 5 up front and 4 in the back.

#18 ·
instead of adding amps and all that just buy a set of Infinity Kappa 693.9i's.....they are 2 ohm, exactly the same set up as the factory infinity 6x9's u took out and made WAYYYYYY better than the stockers....no paper woofers! I got mine for about $150...u can find them on ebay.......they are excellent

#26 ·
Haven't ever had a problem with any of my 3 LH cars with stock audio systems!

#28 ·
The rear speakers were just blown. I guess whoever had it before me really dogged the audio system.

I'm just gonna replace them with OEM if I can find them. So if anyone has ones for sale that are in good condition - Let me know!

And are the front 6.5'' Door speakers 2ohm as well? Do they function in the same manner has the rear speakers (Low frequency only)

I loved how the stock system sounded aside from the blown part. Plenty of bass and clarity.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.