DodgeIntrepid.Net Forums banner

Should I?

10K views 98 replies 11 participants last post by  Jinsuko 
#1 ·
Okay...So...I have a white '97 Intrepid ES with a 3.5. I've not made any mods to it, but I'm going to be starting soon, and I was wondering...how does the Intrepid look with new rims on it in the original 16 inch size? Does it look too small? I don't really wanna pay like $1500 dollars for eighteen inch rims and new tires for it..

#6 ·
Check out my sig pic... Those are factory size, and I love em.

I'm not much of one for changing rim sizes personally... if you like a different style, but have rubber that is good, I can tell you factory rubber size is going to be cheaper than anything else you buy - for some stupid reason anyway. There is less rubber in the low profile tires that wrap the 18" rims - but since 18" rims are more expensive, the rubber around it is justified at its cost... This I can NOT stand.

#9 · (Edited)
Hnn..Okay, another question...I'm not wanting a sub box in my trunk, and I was kinda wanting to replace my rear deck speakers with some small subs...and the dash speakers with tweeters, and the door speakers with some two way speakers or something...can anyone recommend like...any good six inch subs for my rear deck that won't blow my wallet out of the water with dynamite?
Update: I was thinking about getting some ten inch shallows instead...like these..
http://www.woofersetc.com/p-7854-ts-sw2501s4-pioneer-shallow-mount-10-4-ohm-subwoofer.aspx

#10 ·
may also look into freeair subs... while i cant say much about them never even having my hands on one i can say they sound like what your looking for... the shallow mount still requires a box just a smaller one in order to have them in rear deck you would need to make a few holes in the firewall with the box extending downward into the trunk i would think, while a freeair sub would just require the firewall/rear deck cutouts

ive thought about doing the same before but my two 10's are doing fine in the trunk maybe look more into it if they ever go out

#11 · (Edited)
So just a small box? Like...I could do a small box mounted on the rear deck, tilted forward slightly (For looks.) And still use a shallow mount?
Also, would I be able to integrate the rear deck space into the box size, so the box could be shorter to let me still see out of the rearview easily?

#14 ·
Or...What if I were to build the box down into the trunk rather than up from the rear deck? The woofers could stay level with the rear deck while the trunk was filled with the 1 cubic foot box, mounted to the rear deck...would this work? With the woofer pointed into the cab mind you, and the bottom being pointed down into the box built into the trunk through the rear deck..

#15 · (Edited)
its possible but with quite a bit of modification and a 1 foot cubic box is very large... is this something you are looking to do yourself or send out to a shop?

also welcome to the forums.... the 3.5 is a bit finicky with its timing belt whats your mileage? and do you know when it and the water pump was last replaced? these need to be done every 80k miles or your in for some big trouble.

#23 ·
All speakers have recommendations by the manufacture as to the size of the box required. Smaller generally means tighter bass. Bigger then is boom. Tuned and Ported even more boom. So, it depends on your tastes. I like nice clean bass with lower sustained boom. So I agree with Tom. I like a smaller box. My 12" subs require 1 1/2 cubic foot each per JL Audio. I gave them 1 CF each.

#25 ·
Just to clarify - and not to say "don't worry about it at all", but your timing belt and water pump - if you miss the change time for it, and your belt snaps, 99% of the time you just put a new belt on it and keep driving it - the 1st gen 3.5 motor is a non-interference design.

#27 ·
for my car i am using 2 polk audio 6 1/2 in my front doors...about to change my 6x9s on the rear deck and take the dash speakers out...

currently running 1 sony xplode 12 with stock modded stereo and an alpine monoblock amp in my trunk

WORD OF WARNING....whatever you do...IF you so happen to fuss with the tension bars....once they spring out you better duck or run cuz thats holding back ALOT of TENTION!!!!.....i learned that one the hard way lol......

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.