DodgeIntrepid.Net Forums banner

Electrical Questions

779 views 7 replies 2 participants last post by  SEBRET 
#1 ·
This is my first post so I want to say hello to everyone.

I have a '95 Dodge intrepid ES 3.5L and have been going crazy lately. It started about a month ago, when one morning it just wouldn't start. I charged it up and couldn't get it going. First thing we thought was the alternator, but after 5 of those, we realized it had to be something else. I also replaced the battery just in case. The car runs great when it has power, but it just runs down the battery and dies off.The meter is reading about 12v from the alternator so the connection is fine, but it's not charging. I had the connection between the PCM and the alt checked and it was cleared. At this point I looking at buying a new computer because I'm getting a code 41. I have a couple of questions about the computer.

1. is it worth it to scour a junkyard for one?
2. as long as it has the same oem number (06406841) can i grab it from a Concorde or LHS?
3. Does it need to be programed or is it PnP?

#2 ·
PCM can come from any 1993, 1994, or 1995 LH based car, Concord, Vision, New Yorker, or Intrepid - as long as it either IS or IS NOT a security enabled PCM (based on your car).

The alternator should have 14 or more volts when running, so yes, the regulator isn't supplying power, or you have a fuse bad or something.

I'll check more later, gotta fly for now.

#4 ·
Thanks for the help.

Good news. found identical computer (04606841) in a Concorde. It was in a yard, but somehow the engine was in better shape then mine. put it in my intrepid and poof. Runs like a champ now. also swiped a driver side window off a 94 intrepid because my little brother put a rock through mine. lastly i grabbed a new air box to replaced my slightly cracked one. altogether it cost me 45 dollars. got to love scrap yards for that.

I do have another question for anyone reading. I have plastic front fenders and both are cracked/crumbling. would i be able to use metal fenders from a 96 intrepid? I assume they should work, but maybe someone knows something i don't.

#5 ·
Yes, they work - BUT the holes are not the same on the top ridge. Everything else bolts up - I don't know if the top structure that the fender bolts to is the same or not - I don't know if you need to add new holes, or just move the quick nuts, or what - but yes, they do work.

I personally like the plastic fenders, unless they get broken in an accident..

#8 ·
I have the "iconic" green/silver two tone version, so to replace the fender, I have to pull back that long silver piece that runs front to back below the doors. It wasn't so bad, but i was trying to pry it away just enough so I wouldn't have to go through the chore of reattaching the whole thing. I just undid the 3 screws and a tab under the car, strong maned it out of my way long enough to undo the bolt and replace the piece. Strangely enough, i had to deal with a rather large ant colony under my right fender.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.